Advice and opinions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessybehr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an empty ten gallon tank. I do have a filter and heater. But I was thinking of a betta or a goldfish. I heard they don't need a heater or filter? Any suggestions on a cold water fish? I have two freshwater tanks and that's enough mantinence as it is but I might enjoy a simple cold water fish. Please thoughts!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cold water fish are awesome :) I don't think they get enough credit in the aquarium world! In a 10 gallon however, you're choices are a tad but limited. Goldfish are a definite possibility (just keep in mind the issue of overstocking which is easy to do with goldies.)

Well I'd be happy with one beautiful Goldie or betta even

Do I just fill decloranated water for it and him in?

Two other options are blood fin tetras and White Cloud Mountain minnows. Both gorgeous fish that are hardy and don't require much maintence.

Please know that bettas are not cold water fish, and do require tropical temperatures to be comfortable and to be active, happy and live long. :) I also recommend that if you have a filter, you use it, especially if you decide to go with goldfish. They produce a ton of waste and are messy eaters for the most part. Here's a site with some more info: http://homeaquaria.com/best-freshwater-aquarium-fish/

Oops, I didn't see you have responded so quick :) Sure yeah, that'd be fine. Just make sure that your tank is cycled before you put anyone in. Unless you decide to go with a fish-in cycle, you could use the Goldie as your initial ammonia source.

No goldfish in a ten ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426836600.832728.jpg

If you are going cold water then just do white clouds and start with them for fish in cycle. Keep up on frequent water changes until it's cycled. Then once a week should be good.

I love my fish!!!

You could do a school of small bodied tetras, you could have a nice little school.

Something that I recently acquired are Gurtrudae rainbows. They are really unique along with all of the other dwarf rainbows.

Mine are currently very young, small, and very hard to get a pic of. This is the best pic I have at the moment lol. But when they grow up. Amazing ?
My pic (babies)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426838215.016996.jpg

Google pic (adult)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426838366.569728.jpg

Another popular nano fish around here are cpds (celestial pearl danios)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426838482.752426.jpg

29g Community

3g Betta

For a bottom feeder Pygmy corys would be cool they stay small so you could have a couple more in the small tank which they would appreciate a lot
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426838862.036144.jpg

29g Community

3g Betta

One thing to be careful about is maintaining a steady temp in a 10g if you go the non-heater route.

Vietnamese white clouds (Tanichthys micagemmae) are gorgeous! I'm getting some least killifish (H. formosa) tomorrow...nice native livebearer that can tolerate cooler temps.

I keep a number of fish in unheated tanks but they're small and monitor water temp regularly: dwarf amber barbs, gardneri killies, clown killies, green rasboras.

Two other options are blood fin tetras and White Cloud Mountain minnows. Both gorgeous fish that are hardy and don't require much maintence.

Please know that bettas are not cold water fish, and do require tropical temperatures to be comfortable and to be active, happy and live long. :) I also recommend that if you have a filter, you use it, especially if you decide to go with goldfish. They produce a ton of waste and are messy eaters for the most part. Here's a site with some more info: 10 Best Freshwater Aquarium Fish For Beginners | Home Aquaria
Fully agree! Just I'd recommend smaller Vietnamese minnows. I'm with them for years already... By evenings I watch to theirs harmless fights:

5.jpg

4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom