Advice for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nataliedd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi we've just set up our new tank it's a big one not sure how many gallons but it's over a metre long. We have guppies and neon tetras. 1st question I'm assuming my guppies will breed.......a lot I hear so how do we manage this? Also even though we've a big tank I hear plecos get very large and take over the tank? Is this true and therefore should we avoid this? Just wanna know what's best for my little fishes! Ta nat

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The easiest way to manage your guppy population is to have other fish that will eat them. Given how small the fry are it should not be too hard.

As far as plecos go, there are tons of plecos out there that all reach different sizes. I would look into members of the genus Ancistrus. They are commonly called bristenose or bushynose plecos. The max out in the 4-6" range and typically eat algae their entire lives.

Your Tank

Hi we've just set up our new tank it's a big one not sure how many gallons but it's over a metre long. We have guppies and neon tetras. 1st question I'm assuming my guppies will breed.......a lot I hear so how do we manage this? Also even though we've a big tank I hear plecos get very large and take over the tank? Is this true and therefore should we avoid this? Just wanna know what's best for my little fishes! Ta nat

Hello nat...

Your small fish will breed, given clean water conditions, but you apparently have room for them. I keep roughly 100 or so Guppies, 20 or so Playts, 10 Cordoras and a couple of large Plecos in a 60 gallon tank with no trouble. I do change out a lot of tank water every week, but that should be done for any tank.

Your tank situation is very manageable.

B

Thanks for replies, just asked husband and it's 300 gallon tank. Dalto Do a lot of people let bigger fish eat the guppy fry, is this ok? If so what community fish will eat them? Bbradbury how big are your plecos and what kind?

Oops 300 litres not gallons!!!!!

I know from first hand experience, that if you don't have any plants that will hide the fry, most adult guppies will eat them. I just got rid of 25 guppies that I had raised.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for replies, just asked husband and it's 300 gallon tank. Dalto Do a lot of people let bigger fish eat the guppy fry, is this ok? If so what community fish will eat them?
Pretty much everyone who isn't deliberately breeding them. They are fairly prolific little fish.

Pretty much any fish that can fit the fry into their mouth will eat them. Sometimes even the guppies themselves.

I've plastic plants, do you need to have real plants to hide the fry?

If you want to hide them the best way is with small rock caves the bigger fish cant enter. This is a large tank for guppies. This means that they will breed ALOT!!!! Plastic plants are fine and you should have plenty. Small fish like to feel safe. I make mine cheaply and have posted a thread on that subject. If you have enough of these my suggestion is "survival of the fittest" This ensures that the weak are weeded form the brood. Nicer looking adults is the upside. Also purchase a new male every 6 mo. or so to improve the gene pool or eventually you will see massive die out. Good luck.

Ta!

How do I read the thread, can't find it!

Thats a pretty nice sized tank. If you want to keep some of the babies, you can get a fry/breeder net and hang it on the side of the tank. A lot of small pet stores will take the fry once they are a bit older and may even offer you store credit. Otherwise, a lot of them will be eaten, so you wont have to worry much about population. Some will grow to adults though since the tank is large enough for some to hide and survive.

Back
Top Bottom