Ancistrus, L. caeruleus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is a pic of a L. caeruleus fry, about 7mm, in a growout tank. Can't believe he held still for this pic!

normal_l.%20caeruleus%20fry%20Apr%202005.jpg

Here is my handsome new Ancistrus, or bristlenose plecostamus, that just came out of quarrantine and now resides in my 37gal ARLC that is meant for A. calvus. He has very gently removed any trace of algae from the leaves of my Anubias nana, and has otherwise been a very helpful resident.

normal_Ancistrus%20Apr%202005.jpg

cute pics! I am so very jealous of your bristlenose. Mine must be female. absolutely no bristles. :(

Very pretty bristlenose!
Is that yellow lab fry? Is that the only one? Or do you have more?
And when are the calvus finally coming in? :D

Yes, that is only one yellow lab fry - the rest got, um, consumed while I had my tank taken apart related to a separate disaster with a missing fish, described in (excruciating) detail here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=50367

I don't expect any fry to survive to adulthood in this tank - even with the rocks for cover they get to maybe just under an inch and start coming out to feed, and then next thing you know you don't see them anymore. I figured I'd snag this one while the rocks were out, since I really don't like to do that often - it really stresses everyone out.

I am saving up for the calvus. The fish, with shipping, are not going to be cheap and I promised my husband I would not order them until I had the money in hand, which is not usually how I operate.....:lol: I am getting 6 juvies and they take about a million, million-and-a-half years to mature but I plan to keep a pair in the 37g.

Meredith, I have three of these in my 55 and only one turned out to be male, so the other two look pretty ordinary to me. It is funny how the uglier they are the better I like a BN!

Well.....maybe you should pick out more yellow lab fry and sell them to the lfs! That way you'll have the money for your calvus faster! Or sell some of your endlers?

I like the bristlenoses as well, and yes, the 'uglier', the better :D

they are more interesting with the bristles. I think if my lfs gets any in that are definitely male, I may have to trade this girl in.

I know exactly what you mean, Meredith. I was disappointed about my 3 having only one male, but now I think that was probably a good thing, they actually can be sortof territorial.

Back
Top Bottom