Another tank!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
They kept a 14" goldfish in a 10 gallon tank?! That's just idiotic! Poor thing :(

That is even surpassing the inch per gallon rule, which is completely wrong.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

when she gave me the tank she said something about moving it to a 20 gallon tank and not being able to get a bigger tank

RamCichlidLover said:
when she gave me the tank she said something about moving it to a 20 gallon tank and not being able to get a bigger tank

Is there even a point? Geez

the reason why i brought up the huge goldfish thing was only because someone wanted to get a goldfish and (thank god) felt bad about putting it in a tiny bowl.

Omg I wanna train my betta! I have two ping pong balls a pink one and a purple one but I don't know how to get him to touch it...any suggestions???

Omg I wanna train my betta! I have two ping pong balls a pink one and a purple one but I don't know how to get him to touch it...any suggestions???
Train your betta to eat from your fingers. When you get to the point that when your betta sees your fingers it instantly associates it with food, you are ready to add the ping-pong ball. hold your fingers next to the ping-pong ball so that your betta bumps into it when he swims to your fingers. When your betta bumps the ball, release the treat from your fingers. Your betta will soon associate the ping-pong ball with food. Again, when your betta touches the ball, don't forget to give him a treat. Finally, give your betta a treat only if it touches the ball a couple times in a row. Always remember not to forget to award your little buddy! Never leave the ping-pong ball in the tank when you are not there to give him a treat for a job well done. If you leave it in there, he will become uninterested and won't do the trick anymore! BTW it will take about 1-2 weeks to train him to do this. Happy training! :)

Sounds like a cool idea, my only concern would be the transferring from tank to tank. You'd have to keep the water parameters exactly the same in both tanks, or else you'd have to acclimate each time you train your Goldfish, which might become a hassle.

But, that's just my opinion. I say go right ahead, just don't forget to keep stress in mind: chasing the fish, netting it, putting into the other tank for acclimation... etc.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just making sure you thought about the parameters thing. I think like once a day or so would be fine, just don't get crazy ;)

Sounds like a cool idea, my only concern would be the transferring from tank to tank. You'd have to keep the water parameters exactly the same in both tanks, or else you'd have to acclimate each time you train your Goldfish, which might become a hassle.

But, that's just my opinion. I say go right ahead, just don't forget to keep stress in mind: chasing the fish, netting it, putting into the other tank for acclimation... etc.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just making sure you thought about the parameters thing. I think like once a day or so would be fine, just don't get crazy ;)

Don't worry there's no transferring involved!

Huh? I thought you were housing the Goldfish in a large, main tank, and then transferring one into the 10g for training. I hope you don't plan to keep a Goldfish in a 10g full-time...

I don't plan on keeping him in there. Once I train him some basic tricks (follow the feeding wand, go though the hoop, etc.) I plan on moving him to my pond. The reason for this is because in my pond, its too hard to get the attention of any of the goldfish in the pond for even 3 seconds. If I first keep my new goldfish in a tank, I can teach it to follow the wand and go through the hoop. When i transfer him over to my pond, he will already recognize the feeding wand so i wont need to wait for half an hour just for one fish to bravely swim a foot close to it and wind up getting scared and dart away. Also, I won't need to worry about the other fish stealing the reward because they won't go anywhere near the feeding wand let alone any of the training equipment. BTW the fish that I said kept swimming up and stealing the reward in my 30 gallon tank were mollies which isn't a big surprise LOL

I don't plan on keeping him in there. Once I train him some basic tricks (follow the feeding wand, go though the hoop, etc.) I plan on moving him to my pond. The reason for this is because in my pond, its too hard to get the attention of any of the goldfish in the pond for even 3 seconds. If I first keep my new goldfish in a tank, I can teach it to follow the wand and go through the hoop. When i transfer him over to my pond, he will already recognize the feeding wand so i wont need to wait for half an hour just for one fish to bravely swim a foot close to it and wind up getting scared and dart away. Also, I won't need to worry about the other fish stealing the reward because they won't go anywhere near the feeding wand let alone any of the training equipment. BTW the fish that I said kept swimming up and stealing the reward in my 30 gallon tank were mollies which isn't a big surprise LOL

Ahhhh I see! Misunderstanding. I thought you meant that you had a tank of Goldfish and were trying to train them, having a hard time catching one's attention, therefore the reason for the 10g isolation. But I get it now, makes sense.

I'm gonna try and train my betta to swim through a hoop! I tried it out, and he already eats from my hands... How do I get him to go through the hoop?

I'm gonna try and train my betta to swim through a hoop! I tried it out, and he already eats from my hands... How do I get him to go through the hoop?

I posted how to do that in an earlier post. But to do it with your fingers, use a suction cup or a hook and suction cup the hoop to the glass or hook the hoop on the glass so that the hoop is at the surface of the water.

Cool! I'll do that! Thanks! (and I think the post you were talking about was for the ping pong ball... I could be mistaken though.)

Back
Top Bottom