Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mandy2936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,909
Sounds like a cool idea, my only concern would be the transferring from tank to tank. You'd have to keep the water parameters exactly the same in both tanks, or else you'd have to acclimate each time you train your Goldfish, which might become a hassle.

But, that's just my opinion. I say go right ahead, just don't forget to keep stress in mind: chasing the fish, netting it, putting into the other tank for acclimation... etc.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just making sure you thought about the parameters thing. I think like once a day or so would be fine, just don't get crazy
__________________

__________________
Amanda

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RamCichlidLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western PA
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy2936 View Post
Sounds like a cool idea, my only concern would be the transferring from tank to tank. You'd have to keep the water parameters exactly the same in both tanks, or else you'd have to acclimate each time you train your Goldfish, which might become a hassle.

But, that's just my opinion. I say go right ahead, just don't forget to keep stress in mind: chasing the fish, netting it, putting into the other tank for acclimation... etc.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just making sure you thought about the parameters thing. I think like once a day or so would be fine, just don't get crazy
Don't worry there's no transferring involved!
__________________

__________________
In this hobby bad things happen overnight
good things take time...
RamCichlidLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mandy2936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,909
Huh? I thought you were housing the Goldfish in a large, main tank, and then transferring one into the 10g for training. I hope you don't plan to keep a Goldfish in a 10g full-time...
__________________
Amanda

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RamCichlidLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western PA
Posts: 607
I don't plan on keeping him in there. Once I train him some basic tricks (follow the feeding wand, go though the hoop, etc.) I plan on moving him to my pond. The reason for this is because in my pond, its too hard to get the attention of any of the goldfish in the pond for even 3 seconds. If I first keep my new goldfish in a tank, I can teach it to follow the wand and go through the hoop. When i transfer him over to my pond, he will already recognize the feeding wand so i wont need to wait for half an hour just for one fish to bravely swim a foot close to it and wind up getting scared and dart away. Also, I won't need to worry about the other fish stealing the reward because they won't go anywhere near the feeding wand let alone any of the training equipment. BTW the fish that I said kept swimming up and stealing the reward in my 30 gallon tank were mollies which isn't a big surprise LOL
__________________
In this hobby bad things happen overnight
good things take time...
RamCichlidLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #35
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,876
Haha! Good fishy!!!
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mandy2936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCichlidLover View Post
I don't plan on keeping him in there. Once I train him some basic tricks (follow the feeding wand, go though the hoop, etc.) I plan on moving him to my pond. The reason for this is because in my pond, its too hard to get the attention of any of the goldfish in the pond for even 3 seconds. If I first keep my new goldfish in a tank, I can teach it to follow the wand and go through the hoop. When i transfer him over to my pond, he will already recognize the feeding wand so i wont need to wait for half an hour just for one fish to bravely swim a foot close to it and wind up getting scared and dart away. Also, I won't need to worry about the other fish stealing the reward because they won't go anywhere near the feeding wand let alone any of the training equipment. BTW the fish that I said kept swimming up and stealing the reward in my 30 gallon tank were mollies which isn't a big surprise LOL
Ahhhh I see! Misunderstanding. I thought you meant that you had a tank of Goldfish and were trying to train them, having a hard time catching one's attention, therefore the reason for the 10g isolation. But I get it now, makes sense.
__________________
Amanda

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #37
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,876
I'm gonna try and train my betta to swim through a hoop! I tried it out, and he already eats from my hands... How do I get him to go through the hoop?
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RamCichlidLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western PA
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
I'm gonna try and train my betta to swim through a hoop! I tried it out, and he already eats from my hands... How do I get him to go through the hoop?
I posted how to do that in an earlier post. But to do it with your fingers, use a suction cup or a hook and suction cup the hoop to the glass or hook the hoop on the glass so that the hoop is at the surface of the water.
__________________
In this hobby bad things happen overnight
good things take time...
RamCichlidLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #39
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alpharetta
Posts: 5,876
Cool! I'll do that! Thanks! (and I think the post you were talking about was for the ping pong ball... I could be mistaken though.)
__________________
Homedog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RamCichlidLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western PA
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
Cool! I'll do that! Thanks! (and I think the post you were talking about was for the ping pong ball... I could be mistaken though.)
The hoop post is post #14
__________________

__________________
In this hobby bad things happen overnight
good things take time...
RamCichlidLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.