Anyone have any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeb666

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got these guy and could use some help getting specifics on what they are. The one is obviously a pleco, but I don't know what kind. One is a gourami, I don't know which variety. The last fish is a giant danio, I think. I also don't know what kind of frog is with them.

Assuming they are in a 3 foot long 30 gallon, is that adequate for all of them (except the pleco who obviously needs like 70 gallons, which I can't make happen)? And should the danio and gourami have companions of the same species?

Attachments

• IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2321 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2321 - Copy.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 92
Looks like a paradise gourami. Some type of albino frog... not sure really. I would start making plans to rehome the pleco since you will not be able to care for it properly.

Looks like a paradise gourami. Some type of albino frog... not sure really. I would start making plans to rehome the pleco since you will not be able to care for it properly.

Just a public service notice, I've been browsing fish forums for quite some time, since I'm a beginner but I really care about taking proper care of fish, and only twice have I ever seen "try rehoming it" be a useful suggestion. If I could rehome it, I would. I can't though. Same goes for my goldfish. I didn't go out and buy them, I just gave them better homes (20 gallon bow front original home of pleco, vase at a wedding was the home of the goldfish) if I give them to petsmart or petco (the only local stores) they will only be worse off, and that's assuming the store would take them. And there don't seem to be a large number of responsible fish owners prowling around looking for common plecos and comet goldfish. Because they are easy to get ahold of, and need a lot of space. (hard to convey over text, but I'm not spazzing off at you, just trying to explain)

I beg to differ. I've rehomed guppies, plecos, synos, cichlids, etc, etc. While it seems like a cop out for me to say "rehome" it when you're seeking advice, sometimes that is the best advice you can get.

We are here to promote ethical fish keeping practices. Ie, not keeping goldies in vases, plecos in 10gs, etc. It took me almost a month to find someone to take my guppies but they eventually found a home. Try posting on craigslist in your area, classifieds here on AA.com and your local newspapers.

Best of luck!

Both of those fish would do wonderfully in someone's pond.
If that is the case, can plecos and goldfish be suitable companions? At about 72 degrees in a 110-125 gallon well filtrated tank wouldn't both of them be happy? The pleco wouldn't suck on the goldfish as they sleep?

That depends on the footprint of the tank. Both of those fish, in a pond, could reach 18" long...the pleco, depending on genetics, 2ft. But as far as keeping them together, yes they can live together. The pleco will not suck on the goldfish as long as you are feeding it.

Back
Top Bottom