Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Archerfish in Mangrove Swamp

Hi everyone! I just got this tank situated and I'd like to share it with you all. It's brackish water and designed after a mangrove swamp; more specifically Northern Australia. Here's a couple pics:

Large Malaysian Driftwood Stump on the Left, 2 smaller pieces of Malaysian Driftwood in the Right corner, Synthetic Hairgrass extending out of the water

Here you can see 3 of my 4 Toxotes Jaculatrix/Archerfish

Equipment
HOB Aquaclear 110 (480gph)
Visa-Therma Stealth Heater (150W)
Coralife Digital Thermometer
24" T8 5000K Fluorescent (Home Depot/$6)
Black Background

Decor
20G/1.003 SG Brackish Water (Water Level of 10")
XL Piece of Malaysian Driftwood Stump
(2) Small Pieces of Malaysian Driftwood
SeaGarden Synthetic Hairgrass (S/M/L = 4 Total)
Approx. 30-40lbs Play Sand (Home Depot/$3)

Livestock
(4) Toxotes Jaculatrix - Archerfish (approx. 1.5-2")

Food
Live Baby Crickets
Live Mealworms
Frozen Bloodworms

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The archers have only been in the tank for about 30hrs, but they're already displaying natural hunting behaviors. They're pretty hungry but I'm told not to feed them until my NH3 levels zero out(bio-spira hassle/long story) so I haven't seen them jump or spit yet. These particular specimens have a great amount of yellow in their fins that don't show up too well in the photos because of the tannin being released from the driftwood. I purposely did not soak or boil the tannin out of the driftwood to give the water a more natural mangrove swamp feel and make the fish initally more comfortable and at home. Archerfish are all wild caught.

I will be setting up a moonlight w/Lunar Controller to simulate an actual lunar month. I will also change the SG of the water based upon the times of year where their natural habitat experiences droughts or heavy rain.

Future plans are to move them all into a 180G tank, 1/2 or 1/4 full of 1.010+ SG Brackish Water with live mangrove trees and filtered by a sump system. The new tank will also feature shallow "beach" areas in case I feel like trying out mudskippers and fiddler crabs.

Ultimately I think it would be great to try to get lucky and spawn some fry to recirculate back into the LFS. That would mean slightly fewer archers being taken from the wild. However, I'm not getting my hopes up on that.

I hope this helps anyone who might be interested in keeping archerfish. If anyone has any question feel free to email me at: MidniteRPS13@aol.com

I'll post more pictures soon.

37G Puffer Tank
(1) Tetraodon nigroviridis

200G Mangrove Swamp (Under Construction)
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whoa aesome.IF you get that 180 setup like how you explain it you would be god.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
wow! that's amazing!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Your fish are looking great.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Very cool!
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

NH3 level is spiking through the roof and I wasn't sure how'd they'd last in there but they are actually doing very well.

Thanks for all the compliments. I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone on this forum. When I get enough care info together I'll post a Species Profile.

37G Puffer Tank

Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Psyhampster Send a message via Yahoo to Psyhampster
thats a really great looking tank, and the fish look great too!

http://www.aquarank.com/images/users/1.gif Vote For Us!

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Psyhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I forgot to mention the best part! Within the 1st 10 minutes my wife named them all:

Sydney
Foster
Solomon
Baby

37G Puffer Tank

Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Pretty cool!

Have you ever thought of adding live mangroves? Do a search and find some places that sell them. There is a site that sells them at good prices, the only bad thing is that the mangroves are usually 36 inches when they sell them so theyre pretty big.

Nice to see it's working out for you!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingonhot
Pretty cool!

Have you ever thought of adding live mangroves? Do a search and find some places that sell them. There is a site that sells them at good prices, the only bad thing is that the mangroves are usually 36 inches when they sell them so theyre pretty big.

Nice to see it's working out for you!
Actually the tank is taking a dive for the worst and making everyone very sick. Live mangroves will be in the next tank... not sure either Red or Black depending on how I want the roots to grow.

Live Mangroves require acrylic tanks in most cases or the roots can get between the silicone and cause leaks... or so I hear.

Anyone with info on this, please let me know.

37G Puffer Tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com