Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

For your filter try a sponge filter. They are really cheap and they don't give off too flow. That's what I use in my axolotl tank. That ammonia is high! How often are you testing? Lotls are really sensitive to water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #42

Seachem prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrites temporarily until you can get it down to a permanent safe level. Is your tank cycled?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm starting cycling now and only tested it today but I've done a water change today and will test it again tomorrow but was hoping to be able to get my axolotl in the next week or so and I put fresh water in on Sunday so was doing a water change today as part of the cycle and I tested the water and it was high have no idea why and I already have a sponge filter in the tank I just don't know what to do
Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #44

How big of a lotl are you planning on getting? Do you have any fish in your tank already?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't decided yet and no fish in the tank as I just want to have the axolotl in that tank without any fish in it first is there anything that can be done? I use dechlorinator already as well so should that help?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #46

Axolotl

Are you dosing ammonia? What are you using to cycle the tank? And what size tank are you planning on using? I might have missed this all somewhere so I apologize if you are having to repeat anything. If there isn't any fish in the tank now don't worry about water changes. It'll just slow the cycle Down but like I asked I am curious as to how you are cycling it?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was just going to remove 50% of the water every 3 days and have a sponge filter on all the time washing that in the tank water that I'd taken out is that not right? And don't understand your first question sorry
Old 04-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

And It's a 60 litre tank
Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #49

In a cycle you have to introduce something to produce the ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle. Some people add fish and check their levels every day to make sure they are in acceptable range for the fish. Others do fish less cycling. I have done both. Fish in takes less time but it is stressful on fish and may result in casualties. Check out this article about fish less cycling:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ss_cycling.php

So my first question was basically where is the ammonia coming from? Your tap water? Have you tested straight tap water to see what the results are? And if you are planning on getting a baby axolotl you can keep it in a small container which is what I would recommend anyways. When they are so small it's hard to feed them properly. I have a baby right now. I switch it back and forth every day between two containers 100% water changes every day. You could do this while your tank is cycling and until he gets old enough.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are still cycling and there are no inhabitants you only need to change water if the cycle stalls. Every water change slows the process. Did you use pure ammonia to start the cycle?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com