Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want your water parameters to be 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and about 20 nitrates. The ammonia will get high and nitrites will appear and 'eat' the ammonia. The ammonia will go down and nitrites will go up. Nitrates will appear and 'eat' the nitrites. Nitrites will go down and nitrates go up. A brief 'crash course' in the nitrogen cycle. Then when your parameters are like what I stated above your cycle will be complete.

And when I say brief crash course I mean brief lol. There's a lot more to it then that.

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tested the tank water and it has gone down to around 0.25 for ammonia after the water change yesterday is this a good sign?

I hate to be the one giving you bad news but your tank will not cycle on its own. You have to introduce ammonia one way or the other. Whether it be with fish or by dosing the ammonia yourself. And I would invest in a liquid test kit. Which are kinda pricey but worth it.

Yea it will give you some bacteria to cycle your tank. I always use one of my established tanks to start a new one. I just set up a small salt tank and used some water and rocks from my large salt tank and it cycled in a week. So much easier to set up.

+1 to tangs post. They also make 'bottled bacteria' I forgot to mention. I don't ever use it though I've heard of other people using it with success.

+1to Jess' post about a liquid test kit. You really won't know where you are with cycling until you have tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. And patience is needed. Of the bacteria in a bottle solutions, I'm skeptical on those, however, one that gets positive reviews is Dr. Tim's.

I squeezed the sponge from my tropical tank filter in the water just now to bump start the bacteria and think I'm going to order the test strips online in the next couple of days :)

I have a liquid on for ammonia already but thought test strips were easier?

They are easier but very inaccurate. You can just purchase the liquid nitrite and nitrate tests to save you some money since you already have the liquid ammonia test.

Just seen some online and they are actually cheaper so I will probably be getting them instead

Awesome it will definitely give you a much better idea of what is going on with the cycle.

Put your tank low to the ground to keep it colder and also one thing you can do to keep it cool is take water bottles fill them up with water freeze them and float them in the tank

Back
Top Bottom