Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover5297

Aquarium Advice Activist
Be recently fallen in love with the idea of having a pet axolotl. I know that they can't be kept in the same tank as my tropical fish due to various reasons but what size tank should I be looking at? Any information about anything to do with axolotl's would be really helpful

I think a 10-20 gallon tank could hold a single axolotl. I would use sand for substrate and feed it hikari sinking carnivore pellets and ghost shrimp

Did you ever get you Axolotl... If you did i would really like some info about them been doing my homework on them but i want someone personal point of view.

I would go 20 gal minimum for one feeding is quiet messy fish stores will tell you to use large river pebbles don't do it. Your nitrates will go thru the roof. They are a cold water animal they can't usually be housed with other fish as they may become food or sadly you may lose your axolotl. Also they don't like a lot of flow have lots of hiding spaces as well. I taught mine to eat out of my hand he would swim over to me just to eat.

Is sand a good substrate for axolotl's because I've heard that it is?

Sand is good as long as it's not sharp. If they ingest it the sand should pass with no issue

Do I need to put an airstone in the tank? And would a small filter be enough or would it be better to put a bigger one in?

They aren't very good swimmers so it's good to have something that won't blast them. I wouldn't do the air stone unless it's for looks. For the filter I would get something suitable for the tank size, you can increase water changes to make up for it or get a larger filter and slow the flow

It varies you would want to watch your parameters. I would do a 25% wc every 3 to 4 days

Ok thanks how long should I have my tank running for before I put one in?

I would cycle it like a regular fish tank just skip the stuff that helps the slime coat as they don't need that

Yea still use dechlorinator they have some that do not enhance the slime coat but I can't remember the name.

I'm in the middle of cleaning the sand and thinking about what to put in my tank are fake plants ok to use or must it be real plants? And what kind of ornaments should I use?

Back
Top Bottom