Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Baby Turtle wont eat

We bought a baby hatchling Map Turtle at a reptile expo over the weekend. I was told it eats commercial turtle pellets. I bought it Saturday, it is now Monday night and it hasn't eaten yet.
I have been placing it in a separate dish to feed. It doesn't take a nibble. I tried Repto-min, small carrot peelings, grape slices, spring mix... Not a bite. I have also rubbed pieces of food around it's mouth area to try to stimulate feeding and can't engage it to eat...Tonight I placed a few pieces of Repto-min in the tank with it, if the filter doesn't get it first...
Any advice? I'm nervous and I don't want to loose this little critter!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Keep him in the tank to feed, this is where he will be the most relaxed.

ReptoMin is not worth feeding, get Zoo Med and/or Nutrafin Max Turtle Gammarus pellets. You can also feed high quality fish foods (they eat the same things in the same ecosystem).

What is the water temp?
What is the basking temp?
What lighting do you have? (Please be exact.)
What size tank?
You can turn off the filter while you feed if it is an issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

The lighting is a 100 watt bulb on a heat lamp. Also have a 10 gallon sized florescent strip light. It is in a ten gallon. Water temp is 76 f. Lights are off right now. I will record basking temp in AM. Water temp is 76 f.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

Bring the water temp up to about 80F. Do you have a fill spectrum UVB bulb? If not you need one. You can get one for the fluorescent fixture. Get at least 8.0 UVB if not 10.0 (the box will have those numbers on it). While you are there get the better foods. The basking temp should be at least 10 degrees warmer than the water.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know my turtle wont eat if its out of the water. His tank is filled with water and has three stacked stones in the one corner for when he wants to "sunbath". You could also try feeding it bugs or fruits...my turtle loves it when we find him a bug. If you cant find any a place like petland always carries live bugs of some sort.

*by "filled with water" i mean 6 or 7 inches of water in the tank...a baby would probably only need about 3
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

Have you tried buying a bunch of Anacharis from your LFS? Map turtles eating habits are reverse that of those of most other turtles their diet is mostly vegetarian as hatchlings becoming carnivorous as they mature.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions...I have raised water temp to 80 f. Purchased the zoo med turtle food. Starting feeding in its tank...Still hasn't gone for it...

I bought a zoo med basking bulb, basking temp is 80 f. should I get a higher wattage bulb? Will higher wattage = higher temp?

I priced the full spectrum fluorescent bulb- only saw the UVB ratings in 2,5, & 10. The 10 UVB bulb would be too big for my lamp, protruding out., and was 30$. They had 10 UVB 18 inch strip bulbs for 24$- will they suffice? That way I wouldn't have to purchase the deep lamp as well.

I have taken a few strands of anacharis from my fish tank and floated it in there as well... Hopefully it'll munch on it...

Thanks for all your advice. It is much appreciated... Just will feel better when it's eating...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #8

Whatever UVB 10 bulb that fits your fluorescent fixture is fine.

Yes, higher wattage heat bulb will mean a warmer basking area. Just double check the max wattage of the fixture.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure which Map Turtle you have but check this site out:
www.theturtlesource.com/caresheet_map_turtle.asp

When I had baby Red Ear Sliders I would feed them frozen brine shrimp and baby turtle pellets I think it was made by ReptoMin I got it at Petsmart inthe turtle section they are small compared to the adults pellets.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #10

I bought the Zoo med 10 UVB/15 watt strip lamp/ full spectrum. Question: it seems like less light is omitted from this bulb, a blue-er duller light. Is this normal?
I was thinking maybe it would be brighter...

I tried feeding it a red wiggler and a small mealie worm, no luck, I still have not observed it eat.

Tags
baby, eat, turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com