Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey there,
I just thought I'd chime in w/ a few things that work for me as I have 3 of the "Banjo Cats". Sand (in my opinion) is a must. During most of the day they totally submerge themselves in the sand. In the evening they emerge to eat & cruise the tank. I've had good luck in feeding them all of the above stated items. I also keep a small bag of frozen shrimp handy to feed them- i mince the pieces up VERY finely to fit their tiny mouths I leave the shrimp pieces sit out for awhile to get "shrimpy" smelling then about 15 minutes before their active time I strategically place the pieces on the bottom of tank. It's interesting to watch them shimmy out of the sand & stalk the source of that tantalizing smell. I'm in the process of turning their tank into a planted tank & many times I get quite startled as I'm starting to put a plant into the substrate & a pissy little Banjo will emerge under my fingers & scares the heck out of me, even though I know their there...somewhere...then take off at a high speed & nose dives into the sand away from me. Interestingly I've had them go under the sand beside the glass & I've measured how far the Banjo was & I've measured up to 3/4" It's neat the way you can watch the substrate & all of a sudden you'll see the sand shifting or the fish sending up a little clouds of sand & it will emerge several inches away from where it just went under.
I also once on a while feed them waxworms or mealworms as a treat as I luckily always have these on hand to feed all my Tarantulas. Good Luck with your Banjos - they are very entertaining!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you for your reply. I am planning on turning that tank he is to a planted riparium with sand bedding. So, he will get to high himself soon.

Also, waxworms? They aren't even really recommended for reptiles and such because they are so fatty. Unless you are trying to build up weight. I could see mealworms though. I'm getting a leopard gecko in a few days, so I will have plenty on hand.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I have never heard of feeding waxworms to fish before. I guess since I know not to usually feed to reptiles I just spaced them from my mind totally. Nice to know they are ok for fish though.
No, I don't have mine anymore. My tank had an issue while I wd to hear some experience of it workingas away and the caretaker didn't know to deal with it and I lost a few of my fish, my banjo included. I think I may get some of more of them sometime though because they are so much fun.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that.

And you can definitely feed worms to fish, but it's just like feeding fish to them. You have to worry about parasites and disease and the nutritional value, etc. Sticking to prepared foods is the easiest, at least in my opinion.

So, I guess an update on Smokey. He is doing awesome. I watched him bury himself and the tank has lots of hiding places and tons of relatively (to the grave) larger rocks that create little tunnel areas for him. He eats every morning with Wizard and is pretty active in the earlier half of the day. Around four or five, he goes back to hiding. He eats like a beast and is looking great. No aggression from Wizard at all (I'm so proud of him <3).

I'm pretty sure this whole lack of being nocturnal thing has to do with him being captive born and raised in a situation of being fed during the day. He has darkened up a bit and is much more smoother when swimming (less jerky).
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Saw a Banjo at the lfs the other day and thought of this thread. I almost pulled the trigger, but he was solo and my tanks are already a little bottom heavy. He was probably 2 1/2-3". Very cool!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh neat! The user on here is the only time I have ever heard of them needing to be in groups. All the people that I know that have them, they are solo. And none of them have issues whatsoever. So, I'm sure you can get away with just one by himself.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now I have to try to remember which fish store he was at!!! Haha! I've been trolling a lot of them lately. It just so happens I have to go on a mission this weekend for the perfect piece of driftwood, so maybe I'll find him again!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, good luck! I know how that is. Gotta find just that perfect shape.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a banjo cat once and he just disappeared for over 8 months I had him in a 55 gallon . Then one day there he was I was baffled , I watched to see where he went and he hung out in his normal haunts then the next day he was gone this time for about a month before he reappeared . This time I sat for about a hour to watch him then he swims over to one of the upright holes to the under gravel filter where the upright was missing and swim down under the filter he had been living in the basement all that time. He rarely made appearances I guess only when there wasn't enough to eat down there he would come out and feed. The only way I could check on him was to shine a flash light under the nymph of the tank.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Thank you for your reply. I am planning on turning that tank he is to a planted riparium with sand bedding. So, he will get to high himself soon.

Also, waxworms? They aren't even really recommended for reptiles and such because they are so fatty. Unless you are trying to build up weight. I could see mealworms though. I'm getting a leopard gecko in a few days, so I will have plenty on hand.
I used to have a LG. Traded it for my current tank.

Tags
catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com