Banjo Catfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally got a banjo catfish and honestly, I am beyond excited.

So... This is Merlin:

287ouvq.jpg

He is about two inches long and I was pretty happy to find him for $5. The only other place I have ever seen them have been another local shop, a little bigger, and for $12. Anyway, I have frozen bloodworms and shrimp pellets. But, I don't have these "catfish pellets" I keep reading about. I guess I'll run out to Petsmart/Co tomorrow and grab it. Unless anyone else has some experience in what they like to bunch on.

Oh, what about algae wafers? I haven't seen that listed as a food options, but these aren't really algae cats. Just though I might ask anyways.

Hi cannot tell exactly what type of catfish it is but from my experience most cats like bloodworm,brine shrimp,tubifex,finely chopped mussle and cockle for starters that's all frozen food:) Also they usually eat flake and catfish pellets:) but do not over feed the pellets as they are quite 'rich'so these are only to be treated as treats in my opinion:) also as you said i cannot see it eating algea wafers?

He's a banjo catfish, Bunocephalus coracoideus.

And yea, I just thought I might as well ask about the algae wafers. I have so many of them and no animals to eat them! I might just have to eat them myself. haha

Hi looks like you will be eating the algea wafers:lol: Thanks for the Latin name(y) yes defiantly a Banjo cat:cool: You will have to get some B/Ns:fish2: They love algea wafers:) May i ask what else is in the tank?

I had one and he attacked my betta, so that was the end of that... went back to the fish shop. I have never had good luck with any plecos, actually. They have always attacked my other fish or jumped.

I did see a half inch royal pleco that was quite possibly the cutest fish EVER. If only he wasn't $45.

Merlin is currently in a 10g with my pearl fighter. I'm going to be setting up my 36gBF in June again and it will be S.American fish. He will be moved to there. I just had to grab this one, since they are so hard to come by at all.

I have experience with banjo cats. They are GREAT fish. IME, they are not too picky about the type of food, but they usually only eat after dark so make sure whatever you feed him gets in there at night. I used shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and of course the flakes that fall down.

Awesome, yea, I'm planning to feed him only at night. Rearranged the tank so that he had more cover and added another driftwood piece. So, I'm pretty sure he's not going to eat tonight.

Any issues with jumping? He seems to be rather active, or maybe it's just the stress. I understand that they get extremely lazy in adulthood.

I have only seen adult ones before, so I am not totally sure if the young ones are usually more active or not. Mine would literally just sit during the day and you could even touch him and he wouldn't move. I used to pick him up if I ever needed to move him instead of using a net because I didn't want to snag his cute little fins. I never had any issues with jumping. But, my tanks are all covered.
Mine was named Jim Bob Allen. He was awesome. I am thinking about getting more of them someday. :)

Oh, he's two inches. I've never seen an adult in real life, only videos and pictures.

I've only ever seen them once before a little over a year ago, about the same size. Not sure why they are so rare. Well, probably because everyone thinks they are ugly and boring.

The lady that got him for me was like "oh... you want one of those?" in disbelief.

He definitely looks like a Billy Bob or something. I thought Jethrow was a great name too....

Oh, and I got another picture of him:

2cgda4k.jpg

I think his coloration looks pretty good. He has a lot more pattern to him than half of the pictures I have seen. Or maybe I'm just biased<3

He definitely looks like a Billy Bob or something. I thought Jethrow was a great name too....

haha. Billy Bob is cute. You know, my father's side of the family are basically from the hills (I lovingly call them hillbillies) and I have no family members that have any of these stereotypical names? I'm really curious who came up with these.

Anyway, I'm partial to Smokey since Smokey and the Bandit is a pretty good movie.

Not ugly, just normally invisible by day, and of you do see them they don't move. I love catfish, those included, but banjo's are about as active and exciting as a rock. They are actually social/schooling fish, and cruise around the tank in a group looking for food after the lights are out.

Yeah, I think its because they hide and are not very active. Thats my best guess anyway.
My lfs gets them in every once in awhile, but they are not fast sellers. Actually, I got mine on sale because the lfs lady told me she thought she was all out of banjo cats and then realized she had 3 in a tank still that had been hiding for like 3 months. I am sure they came out at night and ate, but she didn't realize they were even in there.

I have a buddy named Billy Bob from Alabama! So I always go there first..hehe.

That is a great movie. I haven't seen it in years.

Back
Top Bottom