Best Spend $175

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up my 120g today for $175. It looked disgusting when I came over to pick it up. There was huge amounts of calcium buildup around the hood area, and the water was brown murky. Water become completely cloudy after I started siphoning the water out. The owner never did any water changes, so there were huge amounts of waste on the bottom. 3 parrot fish and 7 leaf fish was residing the tank.

After I took it home and cleaned it, the tank looked very nice.

dscn3026c.jpg

dscn3025s.jpg

So my deal included:

1. 120g tank (oak trim)
3. Manufacturer's stand
3. Glass hood
4. 2-lamp T8 fluorescent light system (no lamps included)
5. Eheim Jager 250w heater
6. Cascade 1200 canister filter
7. Coralife 36w UV sterilizer
8. Marineland Emporer 400 HOB filter
9. Marineland Penguin 350 HOB filter
Bunch of aquarium decor
And a few other things that I cannot think of atm.
All the fish are going to other hobbyist since I do not want them.

This was an older tank. My other 120g has thicker glass than this tank. I'm probably going to sell the last 4 items and get approximately $100 from them, so I may end up getting the first 5 items for $75 :)

dscn3024q.jpg

Wow such a nice deal!! Near me used ones that look pretty worn is a good $500 bucks. Hope it works out! What are you going to stock it with?

Just one Porcupine puffer. My next step is to drill the tank for a good overflow.

Terrance said:
Just one Porcupine puffer. My next step is to drill the tank for a good overflow.

Cool tell me (or others) how it works out!

Cool deal. Have you thought about a hang on overflow instead of drilling the tank?

Yeah I thought about it for several WEEKS lol. I keep reading that they lead to floods due to various reasons. I saw on YouTube a guy making his tank flood-proof by doing various things to his tank, but seems like more hassle when I can put the same amount of effort drilling for a glass-hole overflow. Apparently drilling offers "peace of mind".

I will toy with the idea of an HOB overflow for my fahaka's tank.

wow great find, it looks awesome. never drilled a tank before myself, isnt the glass tempered? i always see warnings saying do not drill and all that but im sure ya know what ur doing. the other tank looks great as well!

Both Marineland HOB filters were sold for $45. I'll try to sell the canister and uv sterilizer to get $135. I love breaking even :)

I'm thinking about taking the tank to a pro glass shop. Usually most tanks are only tempered on the bottom, but I need certainty and high success rate with the drilling.

Yeah I saw your post about the ick and uv. You should've bought mine for cheap!

Good idea to save it. It might come in handy one day.

Im trying to get rid of the used uv 36w for $80 locally. $90-$95 shipped. It's missing the bulb though. I heard it can be bought cheaper if buying outside of coralife.

Ok last week both HOB filters sold for $45. Today, cascade 1200 canister sold for $65. Now I just need to sell the uv sterilizer for $80 to break-even and make a $15 profit.

Terrance said:
Ok last week both HOB filters sold for $45. Today, cascade 1200 canister sold for $65. Now I just need to sell the uv sterilizer for $80 to break-even and make a $15 profit.

Sounds good I love it when this sort if thing happens I did it with one of my tanks makes you feel very good, plus my Mrs didn't have anything to moan at me about :)

Back
Top Bottom