Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Betta jumped up & nibbled my finger! :-)

My juvenile female betta jumped up and nibbled my finger when I gently dipped my finger in the water I squealed in surprise, even though I was expecting it... I read somewhere that they jump up for your finger when they trust you enough to touch you for food...
Anyone have experience with this... I think it's fascinating... I'm contemplating training her.. I hear you can teach them to do tricks.. Go thru lil hoops, etc

ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Are you serious? I've never heard of that, I'm going to have an extra 10 gallon tank that I was going to use for a medicine tank, but a trained betta sounds good! Let me know please!

55gal Beginner FOWLR - 40lb Live Rock, 1 True Percula, 1 Sand Sifting CUC, 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Sally LF Crab, 2 Turbo Snails, Frag Brain Coral, Tree Coral Frag, Zoanthid Colony
KreativJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
That is great to have a fish nibble on you.

KreativJustin remember every fish has its own personality. I have a saltwater blenny that will actually sit in my hand and will also nibble at me as well. The one before him was just a super sized piggy that would only eat from my fingers.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've trained mine to swim through a small keyring, and he trusts me enough to snag bloodworms from my finger. I'll have to film it sometime. Bettas are smarter than you think! A small LED flashlight is a great bridge so they anticipate the positive reinforcer; only took me a couple days to condition him.
KatieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
My mbuna got to the point that they would just swim right in to my hand when I needed to get them out... I don't get the point of training fish, I guess it's one of those 'whatever floats your boat' things, but if I am going to train something, it's going to be training my wife to do water changes.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Hahaha I don't allow my husband anywhere near my tanks. This arrangement suits us both.

I had a Betta who became quite happy to float and nuzzle (if I can call it that) into my hands when I cupped them together just below the surface. No training. He was just a charmer. Happened entirely by accident one day when I was surface scooping.

Then it became an 'expectation'. And somewhat annoying when I was cleaning

Sharon : Melbourne, Australia
Me on Twitter
4x4x2 FW planted | 15g FW planted | 3.5g FW planted pico
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote

betta, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com