Betta jumped up & nibbled my finger! :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My juvenile female betta jumped up and nibbled my finger when I gently dipped my finger in the water :) I squealed in surprise, even though I was expecting it... I read somewhere that they jump up for your finger when they trust you enough to touch you for food...
Anyone have experience with this... I think it's fascinating... I'm contemplating training her.. I hear you can teach them to do tricks.. Go thru lil hoops, etc :)

Are you serious? I've never heard of that, I'm going to have an extra 10 gallon tank that I was going to use for a medicine tank, but a trained betta sounds good! Let me know please!

That is great to have a fish nibble on you.

KreativJustin remember every fish has its own personality. I have a saltwater blenny that will actually sit in my hand and will also nibble at me as well. The one before him was just a super sized piggy that would only eat from my fingers.

I've trained mine to swim through a small keyring, and he trusts me enough to snag bloodworms from my finger. I'll have to film it sometime. :) Bettas are smarter than you think! A small LED flashlight is a great bridge so they anticipate the positive reinforcer; only took me a couple days to condition him.

My mbuna got to the point that they would just swim right in to my hand when I needed to get them out... I don't get the point of training fish, I guess it's one of those 'whatever floats your boat' things, but if I am going to train something, it's going to be training my wife to do water changes.

Hahaha :) I don't allow my husband anywhere near my tanks. This arrangement suits us both.

I had a Betta who became quite happy to float and nuzzle (if I can call it that) into my hands when I cupped them together just below the surface. No training. He was just a charmer. Happened entirely by accident one day when I was surface scooping.

Then it became an 'expectation'. And somewhat annoying when I was cleaning :)

Back
Top Bottom