Betta/snail/10 us gal compatible dead plant eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomd500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there such a thing?
I have a 10 gal long planted with a betta and a snail, i have it filtered for 20 gal and am wondering if theres a common fish that i could add to eat the dying plants. Im wondering because i love watching natures cycle take place and dont like the trimmed plant look, i know, a bit strange, but just wondering, any suggestions?

I think some shrimp and snails will eat the dead plants. Not 100% sure though.

Is there such a thing?
I have a 10 gal long planted with a betta and a snail, i have it filtered for 20 gal and am wondering if theres a common fish that i could add to eat the dying plants. Im wondering because i love watching natures cycle take place and dont like the trimmed plant look, i know, a bit strange, but just wondering, any suggestions?
Sometimes snails will eat the dead plants, but they typically just decay and give off ammonia if you do not remove them by hand. I understand wanting the natural cycle, but in the wild fish not typically eat dying plants either. Dead plants are not as nutritious as live ones. Dead plants just decay and give off nutrients that are used by all the bacteria and micro-orginisms that exist in the wild. They also produce ammonia which is not great for a closed system that is already supporting the ammonia that the fish give off.

Thank you for the other side of the nature cycle, i just clipped them off before answering :)
Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom