Betta Splendens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok lol. What should I get for the fin rot? Can I use meds + salt ? I put some of those bloodworms in yesterday and they went everywhere lol. I hope he isnt constipated already.

For the fins, clean water and maybe some Stress-Coat. No salt unless you can't get them to heal.
Did you get those bw's out? The ones he didn't eat? He looks like he ate about 7 of them by his little beer gut LOL. Were you able to get some pellets? Some people have problems getting their bettas to eat pellets after they have been spoiled with bw's, so be prepared. Also, soak the pellets first before feeding. :)

I am changing water about 50% every day right now since I have a small ammonia spike from switching substrates. I took out as many BW as I could. I am otw to the store right now and will be picking up some pellets and meds.

If I soak the bws also will that help him from getting bloated?

And I will try to get him to eat pellets lol

I also plan on getting frozen BW for him and my puffer soon

Skip out on anything freeze dried for bettas. Make him eat the pellets, and don't feed him anything if he won't eat them. Do not try feeding him anymore until his belly goes down though. ;)

All these bettas....Anymore and I'll be convinced in getting one again myself. I haven't had a betta since the last one died 4 years ago. Wonderful thing is he lived for 6 years so it was time anyways....

I'm not getting anymore at this point. We just lost our whole tank of them a couple of weeks ago.

Well Mr. Betta seems to be doing a lot better. He comes up to me now when I go over to the tank. He is still a little bloated but it is going down. Added some Stress Coat and did another water change, probly 40%. I saw a couple spots on him, so I am hoping it is just bubbles and not ich. I will keep an eye on him for this.

How long do you think before his fins will start to heal? And, is there some type of floating plant I can get for him- he likes to be under the anchor I have in there.

I want to see a bubble nest :D Then I will know he is happy

Bubble nests don't necessarily mean they are happy, just that they are ready to spawn LOL. Mine seem to make alot of them about every other month. :)
My bettas fins took about a week, it just depends on the rot. You will see a clear new growth, and it will eventually turn the color of the betta.

Yay! Well today his fins are turning lighter at the ends. they were kind of black/burnt looking, and now they are a lighter reddish color.

Ok so the ammonia seems to be rising every day.... it was .25ish yesterday and now it looked closer to .50 before I changed the water???

Well, fish let out ammonia in more ways than one, so it's possible. Are you taking out all the uneaten food? Keep the ammonia at .25 or below, and if that means you have to do 2 pwc's a day, then that's okay. New water is less stressful than ammonia. :)

I fasted him yesterday because he was still bloated. I fed him today before I did the water change, and removed all the extra shrimp I could see (lost the pellets somewhere in my car lol) It probably doesnt help that I have only about 4 gallons (maybe 3) of water in there to cut down on the current. Is there any other way besides mesh?

i may be confused or picturing this wrong, but how does lowering the water level cut down the current? wouldn't it make it stronger? :confused:

do you have any filter floss? just shove as much of it as you can in there :D

Think of a waterfall falling from somewhere high, and think of one falling from only 2 feet, with same amount of water. On the high one, by the time it gets to the bottom, it's alot of mist. The shorter one creates eddys in the whole area. I hope that makes sense.

Oh that mesh thing doesn't look hard like I was picturing lol. I will get some when I have a chance! I thought the same thing, rt :)

Back
Top Bottom