BGK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool fish jeta!! I like how you said,"i saw a bgk...so i grabbed him!" haha i wish i had as much tank space..and as many tanks as you!! I hope he comes out soon, its always fun to have a unique fish with a big personality!

Get one of the clear platic tubes made for those fish he will almost always stay in it and you get to put it in a place for best viewing. I had one and he stayed in the tube for the most part, makes them think they are hiding.

jetajockey said:
I'd do it. It's not really about gallons as much as dimensions, just want to make sure he has plenty of room to turn around and whatnot.

I agree they swim very erratically up down left right... Backwards lol

I saw a couple today at my LFS. Really cool fish, my dad and I had one in our tank when I was little. In fact, that is the only individual fish I remember from that tank. Really nice planted 75 gallon. The BGK loved it.

Is a 75 gallon tank okay for this fish. Done tons of research on them just want to see what folks think. 48x18x21.

Also what do folks think of a rope fish, red tailed shark and blue crayfish as tank mates. cray fish added last after others get to a size where they can't be dinner without a fight...

Hi, I have a bgk with a rope fish they get on really well. I wouldn't ever put a red tailed cat in as they are just to unpredictable. They get big and while the bgk are hard to get past 15" the red tailed. At will get to much bigger than that and would still make a meal of your bgk. I don't know about the cray fish as I have no experience with them. Maybe someone else could help. Also the red tailed cat would have to be moved to a bigger tank at some stage before he is fully grown as that tank would be to small for a red tailed IMO. hope this helps.

Sorry ignore my ramblings regarding a red tailed cat, you said red tailed shark. My apologies. That fish would be fine with a BGK. It's probably the pre operation nerves. That's where I'm going today, to repair my smashed collar bone. Again sorry for my mistake.

No problem...thought maybe that red tailed cat was a slang term or something. Thanks !

Do all BGK get 20 inches or so ? From the research I have done some folks say in captivity they only get 10 inches and other say they get larger.

Guinness said:
Sorry ignore my ramblings regarding a red tailed cat, you said red tailed shark. My apologies. That fish would be fine with a BGK. It's probably the pre operation nerves. That's where I'm going today, to repair my smashed collar bone. Again sorry for my mistake.

Good luck with the operation!

joshv155 said:
No problem...thought maybe that red tailed cat was a slang term or something. Thanks !

Do all BGK get 20 inches or so ? From the research I have done some folks say in captivity they only get 10 inches and other say they get larger.

12" is more likely there is a few that get larger but 12" is the norm in an aquaria.

Joshv155

Yea I have read that they get to between 12-16" but everywhere says that people struggle to get them past 12" mine is about 10" now and I'm hoping he will get a bit bigger. Like I say a rope fish is a good tank ate for him they get on well together. The shark should be good too. Not sure about the cray fish tho. Have to put some pics on mate when you get chance.

Joshv155

Yea I have read that they get to between 12-16" but everywhere says that people struggle to get them past 12" mine is about 10" now and I'm hoping he will get a bit bigger. Like I say a rope fish is a good tank ate for him they get on well together. The shark should be good too. Not sure about the cray fish tho. Have to put some pics on mate when you get chance.

I will get some pics up for sure when I get my tank stocked...hopefully only 2 more weeks max on my fish less cycle....

Ah only 2 weeks, getting all excited now then are you. I love buying new fish, I find something I like then do my research before finally going out to buy the fish in question. I think for me that's the most exciting thing. All the fish I have I have read loads about before buying them so I can give them what they need when they are finally in my aquarium.

image-971786131.jpg

This is my BGK he won't stay still long enough for me to take a decent photo tho lol. He's about 9-10" now, I measured him as he was feeding the other day. By far the coolest fish in the aquarium.

fadetoblack06 said:
I have two of them. Awesome fish picked them up at petsmart too. One of them is out all the time and the other one hides all the time. The only time they fight is when they're in each others territory and the smaller one swims away fast. Btw I got both the same size and now one is about 2" larger than the other one.

I've read this is a big BIG no no. BGK are my favorite fish and I've done tons of reading about them. They are basically blind and use minute electric sensors to find food and their way around the aquarium. Having two in just about any size tank will lead to extreme aggression towards one another. Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom