Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

No problem...thought maybe that red tailed cat was a slang term or something. Thanks !

Do all BGK get 20 inches or so ? From the research I have done some folks say in captivity they only get 10 inches and other say they get larger.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness
Sorry ignore my ramblings regarding a red tailed cat, you said red tailed shark. My apologies. That fish would be fine with a BGK. It's probably the pre operation nerves. That's where I'm going today, to repair my smashed collar bone. Again sorry for my mistake.
Good luck with the operation!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshv155
No problem...thought maybe that red tailed cat was a slang term or something. Thanks !

Do all BGK get 20 inches or so ? From the research I have done some folks say in captivity they only get 10 inches and other say they get larger.
12" is more likely there is a few that get larger but 12" is the norm in an aquaria.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alyxx

Thanks, had the op and am now back home, better than I thought. 4 months recovery time now tho. :-(
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Joshv155

Yea I have read that they get to between 12-16" but everywhere says that people struggle to get them past 12" mine is about 10" now and I'm hoping he will get a bit bigger. Like I say a rope fish is a good tank ate for him they get on well together. The shark should be good too. Not sure about the cray fish tho. Have to put some pics on mate when you get chance.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Joshv155

Yea I have read that they get to between 12-16" but everywhere says that people struggle to get them past 12" mine is about 10" now and I'm hoping he will get a bit bigger. Like I say a rope fish is a good tank ate for him they get on well together. The shark should be good too. Not sure about the cray fish tho. Have to put some pics on mate when you get chance.
I will get some pics up for sure when I get my tank stocked...hopefully only 2 more weeks max on my fish less cycle....
Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah only 2 weeks, getting all excited now then are you. I love buying new fish, I find something I like then do my research before finally going out to buy the fish in question. I think for me that's the most exciting thing. All the fish I have I have read loads about before buying them so I can give them what they need when they are finally in my aquarium.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-971786131.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	73556

This is my BGK he won't stay still long enough for me to take a decent photo tho lol. He's about 9-10" now, I measured him as he was feeding the other day. By far the coolest fish in the aquarium.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack06
I have two of them. Awesome fish picked them up at petsmart too. One of them is out all the time and the other one hides all the time. The only time they fight is when they're in each others territory and the smaller one swims away fast. Btw I got both the same size and now one is about 2" larger than the other one.
I've read this is a big BIG no no. BGK are my favorite fish and I've done tons of reading about them. They are basically blind and use minute electric sensors to find food and their way around the aquarium. Having two in just about any size tank will lead to extreme aggression towards one another. Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

Tags
bgk

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com