BGK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
So, we were in petsmart earlier tonight buying food for the dogs, cats, and parrots, and I wandered by the fish section and happened to see a black ghost knife in one of the tanks. I've seen them in there before and they are usually the length of a toothpick at the most, but this one is a good 4" or so already, so I grabbed him up (plus it was on sale!).

He's now in the 125. Will try to get some pics tomorrow.

You will love him. I have one in my 125 and he is all over. Plus he will swim to my hand when I am cleaning and swim through my fingers and sometimes eat from my hand.

he's settled in pretty good, but he pretty much hides most of the day, and I see him rooting around after the moonlights come on. I'll try to get some pics, he's not very good at hiding since he's fairly big.

I have a black ghost knife fish too, he is without doubt the best fish I have ever had. He is about 7" I keep him in a 300ltr tank. It took him about 2 weeks before he felt comfortable to come out with the lights on, now he is out all the time and spends most of his time swimming Round with my reed fish. He is an amazing character And the tank would not be the same without him. I hope you enjoy your fish as much as I do.

Just a thought what other fish do you have in the tank with him? I used to have quite a few Bottom dwellers, I had 2 feather fin cats, 2 synodontis multipunctatus cats, 2 driftwood cats, a plec and an algae eater. At that time my BGK would stay hidden away for most of the day. I moved the cats to another tank just leaving my favourite 2 in with him. 2 days after removing the cats my was out all day and has continued to be out all the time. Like I say just a thought.

I would just watch the angel fish, I had to take mine out when I first put my BGK in, they were a lot bigger than him tho. They used to try and nibble his curtain. It's hard to say, if you had a spare tank you could take out all other tank mates and just leave the BGK on his own, then try introducing the other fish over a period of time to see if his behaviour changes. That's not practical for some people. I know some people that do just that and have some surprising results.

It was just a thought, it's a shame to have a fish like the BGK and not be able to appreciate his true character. Have to let me know how you get on and what you decide I would be interested to know.

I have two of them. Awesome fish picked them up at petsmart too. One of them is out all the time and the other one hides all the time. The only time they fight is when they're in each others territory and the smaller one swims away fast. Btw I got both the same size and now one is about 2" larger than the other one.

Nice. Yeah I haven't been able to rearrange the stocking of the tanks yet, I'm considering moving the angel pair out completely and into a 33 bow in my bedroom. So it'll just be the BGK, a few discus and a few SAE's.

Back
Top Bottom