Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Black ghost knife fish

I bought him a few days ago and he seems fine but I've just noticed he was lay on his side on the gravel but now he's moving again he seems fine is this normal?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My BGK never laid on his side, he did lay on his back in a plant though. How big is your tank? And has it gone through the nitrogen cycle? What are your water parameters? What other fish do you have in there?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

My ammonia was a tad high at 0.50 I've bought some ammonia reducer got parrots silver sharks red tailed sharks plecs cat fish and 2 baby oscars
Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yikes. Well, don't use the ammonia reducer, just do water changes, keep the ammonia at .25 or below.
The BGK is scaleless so being with oscars and the other fish is a bad idea.
I hope your tank is about 200 gallons also.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

At the moment everything is a baby so there ok in my tank it is big though not sure of size im upgrading soon though don't worry would you be able to help me ive bought some general tonic I no I sound thick I have the fluval u3 filter and on the tonic box it says remove carbon and zeolite (ammonia remover) filter media from the aquarium what do I take out? Is it just the blue box with the circles in?
And how long do I keep it out for
I've took the black padding out and also the chalk circles is that correct and how long do I keep them out for
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you use meds, you just remove the carbon, which is the little black rock looking things. When you are done medicating, you replace the carbon to get rid of the meds, but it has to be new carbon. Carbon is only good for 2 weeks, so if it has been in your tank longer than that, you will need new. Make sure you don't put a bunch of new stuff in the filter though, since that's where your good bacteria lives.
I wouldn't use meds yet though, I would do some water changes for the next few days and see how that goes. What is in the meds that you bought? What does it say it treats?
Do you have hiding places for your BGK? They don't like light too much, so they tend to hide during the day.
My BGK grew from 4-8 inches in about 5 months, and oscars should be kept in tanks with only other oscars.

EDIT: Keep the ceramic rings and black sponge in your filter, you only need to remove the carbon (little black rocks).
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have any black rings
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Please tell me that you do not have all of these fish in the 125 liter tank that is in your 'my tanks' section. the fact that you say you have a fluval u3 scares me.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's what I've took out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1452134542.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	28808  
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I think that black one is a sponge, and it needs to go back in before it dries. I think the other white things are supposed to be in there too.

I looked online, and this is the part that should come out:
Fluval Poly/Carbon Cartridges U3 Internal Filter

Tags
black ghost knife, black ghost knife fish, ghost

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com