Blue FW crayfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
Woohoo! I picked up a pair of blue FW crayfish tonight. What a deal too. Buy one - get second one 1/2 price. I got two of these beauties for $34. All the other lfs near me are selling blue crayfish for $30 - $40 each!

I've got them in a 10 gal with a black gravel substrate and red lava rock. I've read that high temperatures shorten the lifespan and increases aggression, so there is no heater - the water is a constant 73oF. Crayfish like well oxygenated water, so I'm going to put in a bubble wand.

My only concern is aggression between the two crayfish, but I was told that this will not occur if they are well fed and have lots of hiding places. Here are some pics of the crayfish and their new home!

Attachments

• lobster_tank.jpg
    lobster_tank.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 198
  • lobster_2.jpg
    lobster_2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 148
  • lobster_1.jpg
    lobster_1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 316
Mm! We live near a lake. One time, a person for some cruel reason decided to dump their fish into it, along with one of those. Me being a little girl southerner thought it was so cool and brought it home to mama. Now that was a find (( ended up selling it to a local fish store for ten bucks ))

Jchillin said:
Don't be selfish...where'd you get them?

Fishtown USA in Flushing. They had quite a few when I was there.

Update - One of the crayfish molted this morning. He's noticeably bigger than before and is munching away on his old skin - yum.

I've observed both crayfish eating frozen krill and seafood mix. Watching these things eat is cool and disgusting at the same time! This is a big relief, since I have lost many fish that I had not actually seen eating.

erm hate to be rude, over here in aus, they're called yabbies, they're a pest in the wheat belts, i have blue ones, black ones and brown ones in my tanks, bout 30 of em all up. they breed in warmer waters around 28deg celcius, and eat any sort of meat i throw in the tank...
the small ones i feed to my oscars,
to buy over here, they are under a dollar each, but most people just go an put traps in peoples reservoirs

Back
Top Bottom