Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman024 View Post
Anyone with any help? Or anyone at least want to comment on the cute video?!? LOL I am leaning more towards a pair as it seemed more playful and like the male was wanting attention rather than two males fighting for territory..

PLEASE???

From my perspective, since these are juvenile fish, there is no rush or need to speculate on their genders. Enjoy the fish in your tank and if you do have a pair, they will let you know. If you do not have a pair, then you can change one.
A tank of all females will not "fight" for a mate that doesn't exist and a tank of all males will only "fight" for territory which is much less harmful than fighting for a mate. I think you have a no lose situation just by waiting it out.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, the very first pic you posted in the thread is a definitely a female she has a pink belly which is a true sign of a female. Now, in the first 4 pics which is of the other ram?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I took those 4 new pictures to better determine the two apart. If you look at their tails one has a perfect tail and the other has slightly jagged that is growing back. In all of these pictures the perfect tail would be on the right.

What the fish guy and I thought was the perfect tail was female and jagged male.
They seem to both have pink belly's, and black stipes on their pelvic fins. Which is common for female.
So maybe it's just too early to tell and only time will..?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think from the photos you have two females.
They both seem to have that pink hue on the belly. It's faded because of the new home and because there are no males present. That is how I have learned to identify females. If you go back to the LFS and look for a large ram standing Its ground in the tank and flaring when others get close. It's most likely a male. They don't have any red tint on the belly.

Here is a pic of one of my pairs in between spawns. Female is smaller/ Male larger. It's a good pic that showed the belly color. See how the male has a golden belly with no hint of pink. When stressed males tend to fade gray in that area but females will still show a lite pinkish tint or hue even when faded and stressed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1846735322.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	148727

Hope this helps!

Tags
blue, blue ram, blue rams, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com