Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #11

At liveaquaria.com they go for about 17.00 U.S. Dollars.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

todd - how much do you sell them for and what is cost of shipping to Arkansas? Thanks!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #13

How about Georgia?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Foster&Smith sells the common albino, not the super red. These are new in the hobby, I got the breeding stock from Germany last year. Cost me $400 for 8 juvies, ended up with 6m/2f.
Unsexed juvies are $20/each or $100/6, sexed pairs are $80.
Priority Mail shipping w/72 hour heat pack is usually $15, no guarantee. Express Mail depends on your zip code, and does guarantee live arrival.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #15

Cool! Once I get my tank set up I'll definitely look into it.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
Cool! Once I get my tank set up I'll definitely look into it.
Hi Homedog,
I was at www.liveaquaria.com earlier today and they do carry all three Bristlenose with the live guarantee. You can call them on their 1800 number for specific details.
Also about the Fairy Cichlids, it is a Cichlid and even though it is suppose to be peaceful it can be dangerous to other fish. Unfortunately you never know for sure until you already have it in your tank if it will work out.
I have a stunning Red Zebra named Sonny. He not only picks fights with the other male Cichlids, he's attacked and killed 4 female Cichlids. I may have to give him back to the LFS.
If I didn't already have Cichlids from Lake Malawi, I'd definitely get a few of these. I think they are beautiful, and I find their supposed peaceful nature a real plus.
Anyway it's your choice, here are 2 pictures. The first is a close up view of why you need to be careful with Cichlids and how they can kill another fish so fast. The second is of the African Fairy Cichlid (Brichardi Albino).
I hope this helps you with your tank.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #17

I like the second one! But my tank list seems to be all black and white right now, and I was kind of depending on the rams to brighten it up. I'll definitely look into it though! Who knows... Maybe my babysitting bis will finally take off and I can get another thirty! And I could definitely put in one of those if the rams don't work out! Thank you guys so much, cause I'm still learning a ton about this hobby, and your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The German Rams are beautiful but can be difficult to care for. You may want to take a look at the Bolivian Ram. They have a lot of color and are a hardier fish.
I've found that unless I want to throw money away, choosing the hardiest fish instead of the prettiest fish is a better idea.
I've been doing this for some years now and if a fishes specs. say, care level difficult. I stay away. It is to easy to kill them and without a lot of experience and knowledge it's kinder not to get them to begin with.
I know it's really tempting to get the ones with the most intense colors. Especially if you are really into color, which I am.
But, I discovered early on that if I get one with just a little less color and a little hardier they lived longer. So I put in very colorful decor instead.
But the choice is yours
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want a hardy, mellow cichlid that plays well with others and has great color? I have loads of Australoheros oblongum juvies, even have a young recently established pair available. They would be fine in a 30 gallon tank, I actually bred my adult pair in a 29 last fall. The juvies are just old enough to start pairing off now, or you could keep a single if you don't want to breed them.
Adult male; looks tough, but he's as gentle as they come toward anything but rival males:

Female looks the same, little smaller with rounded fins:

Fry growing out, about 8 weeks old here:
Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Homedog was actually looking at German Blue Rams and I suggested the Bolivian Ram. The Bolivian Ram is a little easier to care for. Not nearly as sensitive as the German Rams.
But yours are really nice looking Cichlids. Where are they from originally?
My male Red Zebra has killed off almost all my female Cichlids. So, I'm going to try and give him back to the FS, then replace the lost female Cichlids.
Yours look more like the Cichlids from Central and South America, than the ones I've seen from Africa.
But if they are from Africa, lake Malawi specifically, I would definitely be interested in getting several females from you. After I find a new home for my little killer that is.

Tags
bristlenose, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com