Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Bristlenose pleco

Hey, I have a thirty gallon tank, (still in the planning stages!) and was wondering if I could add a bristlenose pleco to my list. My current plan is:
1 keyhole cichlid
1 German blue ram (after the tanks been going for a while)
2 orange laser cories
6 black skirt tetras.
I'm planning to add some driftwood and fake plants.(real ones just don't appeal to me) so could I add a bristlenose? If not, do you have any suggestions? I will be quarantining all these guys for a month at least, and will be adding a month apart, starting with the tetras, and ending with the ram. I'm always willing to make adjustments, and thanks in advance!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

That should be fine.

If you are going to quarantine there is no point unless the QT is AT LEAST as good as the display. Otherwise you will create stress and stress=illness.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
Hey, I have a thirty gallon tank, (still in the planning stages!) and was wondering if I could add a bristlenose pleco to my list. My current plan is:
1 keyhole cichlid
1 German blue ram (after the tanks been going for a while)
2 orange laser cories
6 black skirt tetras.
I'm planning to add some driftwood and fake plants.(real ones just don't appeal to me) so could I add a bristlenose? If not, do you have any suggestions? I will be quarantining all these guys for a month at least, and will be adding a month apart, starting with the tetras, and ending with the ram. I'm always willing to make adjustments, and thanks in advance!

Hello again Homedog,
I think a Bristlenose would be fine. I have one in one of my 55g tanks. His name is Jed and he's great at keeping the crud off my fake plants. He's better at cleaning than my Common Pleco, Clint. Jed is half the size of Clint and works twice as hard.
I agree with you about fake vs real plants. You can get so much more color and personality with fake plants. And they are less work and I want to work with the fish, not worry if my plants are going to die if I need to treat my fish with medicine or what ever.
Not to offend those that prefer the real thing, to each their own and all.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #4

Awesome! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Fake ones add more color, style, and are maintenance free! What more could you ask for?! So fish guy... you don't think I should quarantine them? I have a ten gallon that's been set up that I was going to use as a quarantine... But then again, I probably would waste my time doing it with the tetras. I'll definitely do it with the fish I have to order online though, as I don't wanna wipe out the whole tank. And 2 things...1. A few sources online and on here say that the bristlenoses are messy... Is this true? 2. Do they require driftwood? I'm still gonna get some, but just curious because some places say they'll die without it.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Bristlenose doesn't need the wood and no they aren't messy. I hardly know he's even there.
As far as the Quarantine goes, never ever put anything in your tank that you don't put in QT first.
I lost an entire community tank in 1 day from putting in 3 Neon Tetras from a reputable FS. They showed zero signs of ick and then 2 days later all 5 of my Tetras were dead and every other fish was dying. Even 2 Common Plecos that were 14&1/2 inches long, that I'd had for many years. It was devastating to say the least.
Every fish I get now goes into QT for 30 days and gets treated with Polyguard on the first day
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #6

Ok. Well I think what I'll do is I'm gonna go ahead and start the school of black skirts in my ten gallon. (right now I have one... Used to have a variety of tetra that schooled, but added some sick cories without qt that wiped out everything but the poor little guy) he had ick, which I finished treating a week ago... he's just started to eat again and his colors are brighter than ever! I'll wait a few weeks to make sure it doesn't come back, and then just take the risk and add 4 more because he's so lonely. When I upgrade, I'll work on bigger schools of skirts, and start adding the ones listed. Does anyone have some tips for buying fish online? I've never done it before, but none of the fish I need are at either of my lfs'... So I'm gonna have to.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i had an albino bristlenose and theyre perfect for tanks under 30 gallons, they work had and keep the tank way cleaner than common plecos.. they dont require any driftwood, theyre not messy at all.. i highly reccomed you try getting the albino version just for appeal..
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #8

Hmm... I'll consider it, thanks! And a site I found sells orange ones too. You ever heard of em?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok. Well I think what I'll do is I'm gonna go ahead and start the school of black skirts in my ten gallon. (right now I have one... Used to have a variety of tetra that schooled, but added some sick cories without qt that wiped out everything but the poor little guy) he had ick, which I finished treating a week ago... he's just started to eat again and his colors are brighter than ever! I'll wait a few weeks to make sure it doesn't come back, and then just take the risk and add 4 more because he's so lonely. When I upgrade, I'll work on bigger schools of skirts, and start adding the ones listed. Does anyone have some tips for buying fish online? I've never done it before, but none of the fish I need are at either of my lfs'... So I'm gonna have to.
Me again,
Before you order online ask your LFS if they will order for you. Mine does and because it comes in their large order I'm not stuck paying a big shipping cost.
If they won't do that for you (they should) then you will have to order for yourself. Make sure that where ever you decide to order from, gives you a live delivery guarantee. If they don't have a guarantee don't trust them.
I've used www.liveaquaria.com a few times. They not only guarantee live delivery, they add a 14 day guarantee after delivery. So if the fish dies a few days later you still get your money back or a replacement.
The cost of their stock is average, but the cost of shipping anything alive is high. I think they charged $35.00 for S&H, which is also average.
I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I've used and would recommend.
Lots of luck to ya
Oh and a 13 year old boy could try the water works, but I don't think it would work as well. I think he'd be better off bringing in every 13 year old boy he knows day after day to show off the dead fish. A few boys hanging around ogling the fish tanks everyday and pointing out everything bad about them is bound to get them to clean up their act. If only to get the kids out of the store.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hmm... I'll consider it, thanks! And a site I found sells orange ones too. You ever heard of em?
I breed and raise them, how much are they selling them for?

Tags
bristlenose, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com