Bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I have a thirty gallon tank, (still in the planning stages!) and was wondering if I could add a bristlenose pleco to my list. My current plan is:
1 keyhole cichlid
1 German blue ram (after the tanks been going for a while)
2 orange laser cories
6 black skirt tetras.
I'm planning to add some driftwood and fake plants.(real ones just don't appeal to me) so could I add a bristlenose? If not, do you have any suggestions? I will be quarantining all these guys for a month at least, and will be adding a month apart, starting with the tetras, and ending with the ram. I'm always willing to make adjustments, and thanks in advance!

That should be fine.

If you are going to quarantine there is no point unless the QT is AT LEAST as good as the display. Otherwise you will create stress and stress=illness.

Hey, I have a thirty gallon tank, (still in the planning stages!) and was wondering if I could add a bristlenose pleco to my list. My current plan is:
1 keyhole cichlid
1 German blue ram (after the tanks been going for a while)
2 orange laser cories
6 black skirt tetras.
I'm planning to add some driftwood and fake plants.(real ones just don't appeal to me) so could I add a bristlenose? If not, do you have any suggestions? I will be quarantining all these guys for a month at least, and will be adding a month apart, starting with the tetras, and ending with the ram. I'm always willing to make adjustments, and thanks in advance!

Hello again Homedog,
I think a Bristlenose would be fine. I have one in one of my 55g tanks. His name is Jed and he's great at keeping the crud off my fake plants. He's better at cleaning than my Common Pleco, Clint. Jed is half the size of Clint and works twice as hard.
I agree with you about fake vs real plants. You can get so much more color and personality with fake plants. And they are less work and I want to work with the fish, not worry if my plants are going to die if I need to treat my fish with medicine or what ever.
Not to offend those that prefer the real thing, to each their own and all.

Awesome! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Fake ones add more color, style, and are maintenance free! What more could you ask for?! So fish guy... you don't think I should quarantine them? I have a ten gallon that's been set up that I was going to use as a quarantine... But then again, I probably would waste my time doing it with the tetras. I'll definitely do it with the fish I have to order online though, as I don't wanna wipe out the whole tank. And 2 things...1. A few sources online and on here say that the bristlenoses are messy... Is this true? 2. Do they require driftwood? I'm still gonna get some, but just curious because some places say they'll die without it.

My Bristlenose doesn't need the wood and no they aren't messy. I hardly know he's even there.
As far as the Quarantine goes, never ever put anything in your tank that you don't put in QT first.
I lost an entire community tank in 1 day from putting in 3 Neon Tetras from a reputable FS. They showed zero signs of ick and then 2 days later all 5 of my Tetras were dead and every other fish was dying. Even 2 Common Plecos that were 14&1/2 inches long, that I'd had for many years. It was devastating to say the least.
Every fish I get now goes into QT for 30 days and gets treated with Polyguard on the first day

Ok. Well I think what I'll do is I'm gonna go ahead and start the school of black skirts in my ten gallon. (right now I have one... Used to have a variety of tetra that schooled, but added some sick cories without qt that wiped out everything but the poor little guy) he had ick, which I finished treating a week ago... he's just started to eat again and his colors are brighter than ever! I'll wait a few weeks to make sure it doesn't come back, and then just take the risk and add 4 more because he's so lonely. When I upgrade, I'll work on bigger schools of skirts, and start adding the ones listed. Does anyone have some tips for buying fish online? I've never done it before, but none of the fish I need are at either of my lfs'... So I'm gonna have to.

i had an albino bristlenose and theyre perfect for tanks under 30 gallons, they work had and keep the tank way cleaner than common plecos.. they dont require any driftwood, theyre not messy at all.. i highly reccomed you try getting the albino version just for appeal..

Hmm... I'll consider it, thanks! And a site I found sells orange ones too. You ever heard of em?

Ok. Well I think what I'll do is I'm gonna go ahead and start the school of black skirts in my ten gallon. (right now I have one... Used to have a variety of tetra that schooled, but added some sick cories without qt that wiped out everything but the poor little guy) he had ick, which I finished treating a week ago... he's just started to eat again and his colors are brighter than ever! I'll wait a few weeks to make sure it doesn't come back, and then just take the risk and add 4 more because he's so lonely. When I upgrade, I'll work on bigger schools of skirts, and start adding the ones listed. Does anyone have some tips for buying fish online? I've never done it before, but none of the fish I need are at either of my lfs'... So I'm gonna have to.
Me again,
Before you order online ask your LFS if they will order for you. Mine does and because it comes in their large order I'm not stuck paying a big shipping cost.
If they won't do that for you (they should) then you will have to order for yourself. Make sure that where ever you decide to order from, gives you a live delivery guarantee. If they don't have a guarantee don't trust them.
I've used www.liveaquaria.com a few times. They not only guarantee live delivery, they add a 14 day guarantee after delivery. So if the fish dies a few days later you still get your money back or a replacement.
The cost of their stock is average, but the cost of shipping anything alive is high. I think they charged $35.00 for S&H, which is also average.
I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I've used and would recommend.
Lots of luck to ya
Oh and a 13 year old boy could try the water works, but I don't think it would work as well. I think he'd be better off bringing in every 13 year old boy he knows day after day to show off the dead fish. A few boys hanging around ogling the fish tanks everyday and pointing out everything bad about them is bound to get them to clean up their act. If only to get the kids out of the store.

Hmm... I'll consider it, thanks! And a site I found sells orange ones too. You ever heard of em?
I breed and raise them, how much are they selling them for?
img_1224815_0_07145e8446ca64a4e0ac6f15edb09dd0.jpg

img_1224815_1_11732cad573fc5836df1bbf8740b58c3.jpg

Foster&Smith sells the common albino, not the super red. These are new in the hobby, I got the breeding stock from Germany last year. Cost me $400 for 8 juvies, ended up with 6m/2f.
Unsexed juvies are $20/each or $100/6, sexed pairs are $80.
Priority Mail shipping w/72 hour heat pack is usually $15, no guarantee. Express Mail depends on your zip code, and does guarantee live arrival.

Cool! Once I get my tank set up I'll definitely look into it.
Hi Homedog,
I was at www.liveaquaria.com earlier today and they do carry all three Bristlenose with the live guarantee. You can call them on their 1800 number for specific details.
Also about the Fairy Cichlids, it is a Cichlid and even though it is suppose to be peaceful it can be dangerous to other fish. Unfortunately you never know for sure until you already have it in your tank if it will work out.
I have a stunning Red Zebra named Sonny. He not only picks fights with the other male Cichlids, he's attacked and killed 4 female Cichlids. I may have to give him back to the LFS.
If I didn't already have Cichlids from Lake Malawi, I'd definitely get a few of these. I think they are beautiful, and I find their supposed peaceful nature a real plus.
Anyway it's your choice, here are 2 pictures. The first is a close up view of why you need to be careful with Cichlids and how they can kill another fish so fast. The second is of the African Fairy Cichlid (Brichardi Albino).
I hope this helps you with your tank.

I like the second one! But my tank list seems to be all black and white right now, and I was kind of depending on the rams to brighten it up. I'll definitely look into it though! Who knows... Maybe my babysitting bis will finally take off and I can get another thirty! And I could definitely put in one of those if the rams don't work out! Thank you guys so much, cause I'm still learning a ton about this hobby, and your help is greatly appreciated!

The German Rams are beautiful but can be difficult to care for. You may want to take a look at the Bolivian Ram. They have a lot of color and are a hardier fish.
I've found that unless I want to throw money away, choosing the hardiest fish instead of the prettiest fish is a better idea.
I've been doing this for some years now and if a fishes specs. say, care level difficult. I stay away. It is to easy to kill them and without a lot of experience and knowledge it's kinder not to get them to begin with.
I know it's really tempting to get the ones with the most intense colors. Especially if you are really into color, which I am.
But, I discovered early on that if I get one with just a little less color and a little hardier they lived longer. So I put in very colorful decor instead.
But the choice is yours

You want a hardy, mellow cichlid that plays well with others and has great color? I have loads of Australoheros oblongum juvies, even have a young recently established pair available. They would be fine in a 30 gallon tank, I actually bred my adult pair in a 29 last fall. The juvies are just old enough to start pairing off now, or you could keep a single if you don't want to breed them.
Adult male; looks tough, but he's as gentle as they come toward anything but rival males:
img_1225883_0_d6bc14e6a11e111bdad7f8e0ec6df4d6.jpg

img_1225883_1_38100a61d5134a1df2722a72b29e27c9.jpg

Female looks the same, little smaller with rounded fins:
img_1225883_2_e48072028d2d66bde68957b35208c628.jpg

Fry growing out, about 8 weeks old here:
img_1225883_3_1885310222a3e9ea0c0116e9b988279f.jpg

Homedog was actually looking at German Blue Rams and I suggested the Bolivian Ram. The Bolivian Ram is a little easier to care for. Not nearly as sensitive as the German Rams.
But yours are really nice looking Cichlids. Where are they from originally?
My male Red Zebra has killed off almost all my female Cichlids. So, I'm going to try and give him back to the FS, then replace the lost female Cichlids.
Yours look more like the Cichlids from Central and South America, than the ones I've seen from Africa.
But if they are from Africa, lake Malawi specifically, I would definitely be interested in getting several females from you. After I find a new home for my little killer that is.

Back
Top Bottom