Bushfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a shot of my female Microctenopoma fasciolatum. These fish are anabantids (similar to gouramis) from Africa. You can see from the hungry look that they are a bit more predatory than your typical gourami.
[center:cf7a5835f2]
mfasciolatus4.jpg
[/center:cf7a5835f2]

Fruitbat, where are you getting these awesome fish?

I'm planning on getting my C. ansorgii from Rehoboth Aquatics..

Hypostomus...

I haunt my local fish stores and snatch things up as soon as they come in. My Microctenopoma pair came in as filler fish with a bunch of African tetras. The lfs had no idea what they were so they tossed them in with a bunch of gouramis. Needless to say I grabbed them as soon as I saw them!

I have one fish store that occasionally gets things in for me. Right now I have them looking for Polypterus delhezi and Polypterus palmas as well as Microctenopoma ansorgii, Ctenopoma acutiroste and Ctenopoma oxyrhynchus.

When you get yours in...treat us to pictures!!!!!

Fruitbat,
That's a nice-looking fish. Did you get one or a pair? If it's an anabantid, then it's also related to a betta in some way, right? I kinda think it looks like a cichlid -- maybe a ram!

P.S. Did you ever get that wild betta you were looking for?

I got a pair of them...the male, though he bullies the female occasionally, is a real shy fish and hasn't posed for his picture yet. :lol: Yes...they are distantly related to the Betta species though they're from a different continent than most other anabantids.

No...I never did find any Betta macrostoma at a reasonable price. I'd love to have a pair of them but $200.00 - 400.00 per fish is a tiny bit out of my price range!!

That's awesome. The regional FS here occasionally gets some interesting stuff (like P. denisonii, though they were gone by the time I went back), but no labyrinths beyond your basic gouramis and bettas.

Btw, they had three P. senegalus last time I was there and one of them was an albino. They were adorable!

I'll definitely post pictures of all the fish when I get them in September.

EDIT: I googled B. macrostoma out of curiosity after it was mentioned. What a beautiful fish!

Here's a new shot of one of my P. denisonii just so you know what you're missing! :lol:

[center:846e522f30]
pdenisonii3b.jpg
[/center:846e522f30]

Back
Top Bottom