Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

buying fish out of state???

im going to ohio in a feew weeks and was wanting to know if i buy some fish when im there will they be ok for the ride back? i know you can ship fish and that takes over 12 hours to do right? so shouldnt they be ok to do?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

There might be some legal issues if you're transporting them across state lines. I'm not sure how it works but it's worth looking into.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think it depends on where you buy them from, what kinds of bags they use, do they gas the bag, etc. Lots of variables.

You might want to ask severum mama, she ships a lot, so would know what you need to look for.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosfear View Post
There might be some legal issues if you're transporting them across state lines. I'm not sure how it works but it's worth looking into.
what legal issues would there be? it would be the same as shipping...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
I would think it depends on where you buy them from, what kinds of bags they use, do they gas the bag, etc. Lots of variables.

You might want to ask severum mama, she ships a lot, so would know what you need to look for.
i was going to pm her and shay..
Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Unless you are buying something that is specifically banned in your state, there shouldn't be any concern. There are no border crossings as one state blends with the other. Oots of people up here bring fish from the US often passing through several states, and then crossing the border into Canada. Ornamental fish generally pass right through without any issues.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gilley - you should be fine, take a cooler with you of some type and place the fish in it once they are bagged. Do this myself when I go out of town to pickup fish exception is that when its cold here I toss a heat pack in the box.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Unless you are buying something that is specifically banned in your state, there shouldn't be any concern. There are no border crossings as one state blends with the other. Oots of people up here bring fish from the US often passing through several states, and then crossing the border into Canada. Ornamental fish generally pass right through without any issues.
lol if i buy anything it wll be guppies and stuff like that.. would look at some chichlids but my tanks not up
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Gilley - you should be fine, take a cooler with you of some type and place the fish in it once they are bagged. Do this myself when I go out of town to pickup fish exception is that when its cold here I toss a heat pack in the box.
thank you shay thats what i was thinking.. not sure that i will be picking up anything but just wanted to be safe
Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL do I like I do keep a cooler in the car/truck for those fish you just can't live without LOL

Tags
buying fish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com