Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

My bad luck was my own stupidity. They were doing great in a bare qt but when I moved them to a growout tank, I never gave it a thought that the ph might be hugely different and they went into shock and died. At least that is the only thing I could figure went wrong. But, they were doing awesome while I had them and getting frisky with each other. I had black calvus and some goldhead comps with them.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

As day to comes to a close, the calvus are certainly getting friskier and friskier. Now when I come over to the tank they swim over to me, already learning to expect to be fed! The one that is getting picked on now has no tail at all so that might be too much friskiness for him - if I can do so without tearing the tank to pieces I am considering giving him his own digs in a 5gal until he can get himself together. I acclimated them very slowly yesterday and they seem to have made the transition well so far, but I was very nervous about it.

The pulchers are still totally in hiding, so the tank looks completely bare, as below (I re-scaped the tank after removing the Malawis but they don't seem to appreciate my hours of stacking and restacking.... ) I expected the calvus to be the ones hiding, not the pulchers! They are absolutely gorgeous, with fluorescent white/blue tips on their long, flowing fins, and they have blue eyes. I know I need a background on this tank

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Beautiful aquascaping! Where in the tank have the Daffodils retreated to? I wouldn't be too concerned with the other calvus's lips being torn up. Mine do it to eachother all the time. I guess that you would expect them to learn after awhile. Mine haven't learned yet. It's kind of like deja vu. My calvus did the same things that yours are doing now. To include the tail loss even. My mistake though was in thinking that the tank had enough hiding places for them to hide in. I was wrong. That calvus didn't make it. I wish that I would have just put him in a seperate tank.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #14
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Very nice, congrats!...I have some black calvus and some orange compressceps, and I think that they are far and gone the most attractive genus of the African cichlids.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I think you are right, and I am going to see if I can sneak up on him in the dark and net him out. He is always in the same place but now his color is not like the others, though he was eating. The lack of tail finnage makes it harder for him to maneuver, though.

The pulcher are behind the rocks, mainly on the far left. There is a smooth river stone between to pieces of basalt and there are good sized cracks between the three rocks, plus behind them, so they are tucked away. All of the rocks in this tank are stacked to create caves everywhere, and the fish are not 2", so they are hard to see.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry Toirtis - simulpost!

I agree with you about the calvus and compressiceps - they look so tough when they mature, and they have always fascinated me. I am in a Lake Tang phase these days, and hope to be able to set up a large community in the near future.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
from the 2 lake tang fish ive looked at (brichardi and brevis) both stay at the bottom. which tang fish that at the top? just wondering
Old 06-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Cyprichromis or paracyps are generally favored as open water shoaling types, but you need a good-sized tank for them as they need room and they prefer a group of at least 6. Also, they don't ship particularly well, or so I hear. They are quite lovely and are on my short list.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dogspot
Cyps definitely are the best! Eventually I will have a bigger tank with a school of cyps... If not this lifetime, then the next.
2 Black Calvi
3 Julidchromus Transcripti
3 Synodontis Petricolas
2 Common Plecos
(all are juveniles) Plan to upgrade to about 120 gallons soon
dogspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Three fronts in a 55 - you definitely need that 120

What kind of Juli transcriptus do you have?

Tags
calvus, pics, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com