Can someone identify this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGuppyGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got these plants at petco and the packaging said it was "rotala wallichii" or needle leaf rotala and that seems wrong for the look of this plant.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428686172.885639.jpg
I've had it in my tank for a week now and it's only 2-3 inches tall. The leaves are tiny, but not needle-like, hence my suspition. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That must be it. Can't wait until it carpets. On another note, Petco needs to go back to biology class.

That must be it. Can't wait until it carpets. On another note, Petco needs to go back to biology class.

It would be the emersed form of rotala wallichii grown from a tissue culture. Tissue cultures usually bear little to no resemblance to their aquatic form. Im sure it is Wallichii. Ive bought some crypts and they didn't look like the variety it claimed to be. The emerged form melted away completely and the real aquatic form grew new. Just give it time and it will be the plant it claims. Wallichii is a pretty challenging plant though so don't be discouraged if it doesn't do too well. I would imagine it too will melt pretty intensely.

Back
Top Bottom