Cheap 40 breeder. Broken brace. Will it bow and break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40 gallon breeder laying around the house unused. The top center brace is broken in half. Will it bow out and break if I fill it with water? Thank you much for your info.

Not sure if it is needed for structural stability, but I have a 55 gallon tank and I cut mine out. It was a pain in the *** always catching and cutting my arm on it. I keep my tank topped off always and I have No problems.

Just my 2 cents!

fill it out side first to see if it bows
that way if it bursts water isn't all over the house
if it holds water don't leak or bow I would think it to be ok
I have a few with no center brace and there ok

On a 40B it can go either way. If made with the same thickness glass as they usually are, you can go brace or no brace. I've seen both. They are only 3 feet long and pretty short so the pressures aren't too bad.

As for the second comment on cutting a brace out of a full 55, not a wise idea. It may be fine, and it may bow the glass eventually causing an issue. 55s are long and tall and the brace is there for a structural reason. But to each their own. Hopefully it holds.

On a 40B it can go either way. If made with the same thickness glass as they usually are, you can go brace or no brace. I've seen both. They are only 3 feet long and pretty short so the pressures aren't too bad.

As for the second comment on cutting a brace out of a full 55, not a wise idea. It may be fine, and it may bow the glass eventually causing an issue. 55s are long and tall and the brace is there for a structural reason. But to each their own. Hopefully it holds.

I should add that mine was cracked and the edges were jagged. I just didn't cut it out for no reason. But it does make it alot easier to catch fish, and I've had no bowing at all.

Depends on the dimensions of the tank. if it is a wide tank, it would be better with the brace than without. If you are unsure, you can always silcone a 1"-2" piece of glass around the top lip of the tank to help keep the top from bowing. Serves almost the same as a cross brace.
As previously mentioned, always test your tank outside in case it leaks. make sure the tank is on a level or secure surface .

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom