Cleaner Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHARPiE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a new tankmate!
Say hello to Mr/Ms Cleaner Wrasse.
VERY active (hard to get a good shot), eating live brine ravenously, QTed for 5 weeks.
98580575064161.gif

Also - this sea star isn't new (2 months now), but thought I'd add a photo never the less.

4aafd875064102.gif

Got a cleaner wrasse that eats food. I'm impressed.

I spent weeks reading up on these (while the wrasse was being QTed). I noticed a lot of people struggling to get the wrasse to eat. I said to the LFS, I would NOT take it if it wouldn't eat in front of me. They put a little bit of live brine in and he went NUTS! Got him home and drip acclimated him for 45 mins, put him in. Did a little feed today, and he was eating!
WooHoo!

I absolutely love cleaner wrasses. That said, I will never purchase one because the labroides perform such a valuable service in the wild that I believe they are better left there. I hope your fish is the exception to the survival rate in captivity rule- best of luck with it! :)

I agree best of luck with it. They dont last too much longer that 4 months though. I could never get mine to last more than two or three months. Nice looking star. What kind is it?

After doing lots of research, I almost couldn't believe what just happened.

The Wrasse has gone straight from live brine, to frozen mysis!!
The next step is pellet food.
This is amazing!

Will try and get a video up if I can work out how...

Think I have some bad news.
Last time I saw the Cleaner was Friday evening - He was chowing down on Mysis. He wasn't being chased or hassled by any of the tank mates. Zero signs of disease or lethargy.

Its now Tuesday afternoon and I haven't seen him since...

Parameters are fine:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
pH - 8.2
SG - 1.025

I'm going to monitor the ammonia over the next few days and see if there's a spike. If so - my thoughts may be confirmed. I guess I should have heeded the advice I have seen about these not lasting very long...

Look around your tank. They are carpet surfers to the max.

Just did a feed - no carpet surfers - plus I've got a hooded tank.

Quite worried now - he's missed a couple of feedings.
I think I should plan for the worst.

In a 42g tank with LR, you won't likely see any ammonia spike. Besides, if you've got hermits, you'll likely never find any evidence anyway.

Back
Top Bottom