Cleaning the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaynick1218

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When cleaning the tank how much water should I take out and how often? Also should I take the fish and fake plants an rocks out?

Changing water all depends on your water Perams. Do you have a water test kit? When I do it I check my water weekly for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites, and change water according to the test. I do about 20%-50% each time. I leave my fish in and use a gravel vac every other time I change water.

You can leave all your plants and fish in the tank. If using a gravel cleaner, just clean all the gravel and if you remove roughly 20-25% stop there. If not, just pull til you remove about 1/4 of the water out.

I started the tank about a little over two weeks ago. I bring the water to get tested every week an the guys says that the levels are fine. Should do a water change or is it to soon?

How big of a tank is it? I would advise getting a API master test kit. Did you cycle your tank?

Its a 10 gal. I have 4 fish in it now. A black molly, black neon tetra, red platy and one more I forgot the name of. The levels keep comeing back ok so I guess it is cycled.

I have a 5 gallon with 2 goldfish. I change 20% every fortnight!

2007PSanHa said:
I have a 5 gallon with 2 goldfish. I change 20% every fortnight!

I must add these stocking levels are far too high as to not confuse the OP because 2 comets need 75 gallons
I do 50% once a week on my planted 10 gallon which has 9 fancy guppies and 3 peppered cories as well as a mystery fish fry

kaynick1218 said:
Its a 10 gal. I have 4 fish in it now. A black molly, black neon tetra, red platy and one more I forgot the name of. The levels keep comeing back ok so I guess it is cycled.

We need exact levels to help you here
The tetras need a school of 6 and a 20 gal as does the Molly however it can live alone

I know my tank is too small! I'm using my pocket money here! Take fake plants out and clean them. Leave real plants in. Lear fish in.

Back
Top Bottom