Clearing up cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpea43

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've never had a problem with cloudy water. But I purchased a piece of wood for my aquarium and stuck it in the tank. Only after rinsing it off. (What the lady at the Lfs said) the water turned tea color so I took it out . Did a water change. Cleared it up a little . And I used some seachem clarity. Has anyone ever used this product ? Do u think it work on ( spelling maybe wrong tannens) released from the wood? Should I just do more water changes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The tannins which are released from most woods are harmless, and in fact are considered by some hobbyists to be good for the tank.

They will leech and turn your tank water into a "blackwater" tank. Basically, it'll look like weak tea. You have options!

1) take the wood out and boil it until the boiling water is almost completely clear. This forces the wood to leech more tannins more rapidly and thus keep your tank clear.

2) leave it in the tank and just do more PWCs until it clears. Some have had luck using purigen and/or activated carbon to pull a decent amount of tannins out.

Either way, Seachem Clarity won't really help since the color isn't due to particulates, per se. The product DOES work, but won't have any effect on the tannins.

Good luck!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Dee Lee is right. It can be beneficial (depends on the fish you keep) and some people like the look.

If you don't like it I believe water changes or boiling are the best ways to solve it.

I took the piece of drift wood out. I've done water changes so far. This last past Monday I did a 35% water change and have been soaking the piece of drift wood in a clean empty garbage can. Going to give it a cpl weeks of soaking and changing the water in the can to wait and see when the tannens slow down on releasing

And I have juvenile oscars and Green terrors in the 55 idk if they care for the tannens released from drift wood.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424810843.252412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are south/central american so they definitely wouldn't mind it. If you like the look I would leave it. Also if you pH tends to be a bit high I would leave it.

ID remove the wood section put it in a plastic tot filled with water and a power head to circulate water change out all the water every few days till it seems to be clear than re add it to the tank
as to clear up tank partial water changes daily till its clear

Back
Top Bottom