Cloudy water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there i have a normal 4 foot tank with one baby oscar and 4 small clown loaches in it and i have two tank maid internal filters that are both do 1000L per hr and all ph and everything is good can can anyone tell me what may be the cause of my cloudy water?? Could it be that i need a canister filter??

Welocme Aboard!

When you say cloudy, is it white cloudy water?

If so, it sounds like a bacterial bloom and I'd suggest daily PWC (partial water changes) of 25-50% over the next 3 days which should clear it up. Generally blooms happen when you cean your tank a bit too good and the bacteria get stirred up and have to find a new place to live.

Hey thanks for u reply um yeah its more like a weak tea like a light brown i have done 3 water changes this week to try and clear it up but no good im thinking maybe i might need a canister filter instead of the internals

kano said:
Hey thanks for u reply um yeah its more like a weak tea like a light brown i have done 3 water changes this week to try and clear it up but no good im thinking maybe i might need a canister filter instead of the internals

Gotcha. Do you have DW (driftwood) that is newish and just added to your tank? The tea water sounds like tannins leaching into the water column, it doesn't hurt the fish, but it can be unsightly.

Yes i do but i put it in the about 4 weeks ago. So do u think i should het a canister filter would it help?

kano said:
Yes i do but i put it in the about 4 weeks ago. So do u think i should het a canister filter would it help?

Not unless you want to get a can. There's a couple things to do (well 3 actually lol). First is leave it and at some point the tea water will go away, next is take the DW out and soak it in a bucket of water and change the water every day until the water is clear after 24hrs. The last option I'd recommend is to get a bag of poly-fil from a craft or fabric store, put it in your filter(s) and it'll pull the fine debris from the water very well IMO/E. If you use the poly-fil, I'd check it every couple of days and replace it as needed to help keep the tank clear.

Ok thank you for your help i will try what you have said and hopefully it will help :) if i don't see a change i will get a canister filter as i have been meaning to get one for a few weeks now.

Thank you for your help

kano said:
Ok thank you for your help i will try what you have said and hopefully it will help :) if i don't see a change i will get a canister filter as i have been meaning to get one for a few weeks now.

Thank you for your help

Canisters are great, I have one a tank with a can and plan to upgrade another with one soon enough. You can use poly-fil in it and it'll do a great job helping to keep your water crystal clear. Just make sue the poly-fil is 100% with on additives like fire retardant, etc (Fairfield brad is what I use).

Good luck!

Thank you i will let you know how it all goes in a week or two :)

Back
Top Bottom