craigslist find - lucky me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba dude

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a free 10 gallon heavily planted tank ( and I meen heavily ) with 20-25 zebras and 2 panda garra suckers. I drained half the water to get it home filled it with water , did another 50% water change and changed the filter. This morning I did a water test and it was off the charts the nitrates were still over 160 from what my API drop kit tells me ( the sample looked like blood it was so red). so I did another 50 % water change and after work tonight I will start pulling fish out and put them in my QT tank. which has all perfect numbers as far as water tests show , I will probably leave a few fish in the planted tank to help the plants for now until I start to transfer plants to my 90 gallon tank. Theese poor fish are skinny , not as straight as normal and I am amazed that anything could survive in water as poor as what it is , not to mention how bad it must have been when I picked it up. Also in this were two eheim automatic feeders that are like brand new. This was truely a fish rescue to say the least.

I wish I had taken a picture before I pulled up the plants to get the fish out and into the QT tank. They have been in the QT for around a week now and all have improved dramaticly without the loss of any of them , wich kind of suprises me for as bad as they looked. I plan on leaving them in there for another couple weeks before transfering them to the 90 gallon community tank. Then plants into QT tank to be sure that there are no unwanted pests hiding in the plants. There are some snails that appeared in the plant only tank but I have no clue as to what type of snail they are , I want to be careful not to get any invasive snails mixed in that would eventually end up in the community tank.

Back
Top Bottom