Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

A betta would be fine in a 2.5. Even though a 5 would be better. You can't keep a male/female pair together permanatly. They should only be together for a few hours just to breed. And they would need like a 10g just for breeding. Females can live together but they need like a 30-40 g for 5 of them. They do better in larger numbers but there would still be fighting. 2 females won't work In 2.5,5,10 . Infact it wouldn't work in many tank sizes. One may even kill the other. The male can live with a few snails and MAYBE bigger shrimp : ghost or amanos. You can try RCS or red rili shrimp but bettas seem to find them an expensive snack.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have read a lot that Betta get along with community fish that are peaceful and won't get confused for another Betta. Preferably drab fish. Pleco's, African dwarf frogs and RCS are they most highly recommended though. I don't want to put him in a community tank but I am thinking about buying some RCS from eBay and giving them plenty of hiding space. They will each have a 12.5g side of the tank. I will only keep one until I have another pump unless one will work for a 15g with a partition in the middle?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post
A betta would be fine in a 2.5. Even though a 5 would be better. You can't keep a male/female pair together permanatly. They should only be together for a few hours just to breed. And they would need like a 10g just for breeding. Females can live together but they need like a 30-40 g for 5 of them. They do better in larger numbers but there would still be fighting. 2 females won't work In 2.5,5,10 . Infact it wouldn't work in many tank sizes. One may even kill the other. The male can live with a few snails and MAYBE bigger shrimp : ghost or amanos. You can try RCS or red rili shrimp but bettas seem to find them an expensive snack.
Hahahahaha! A tasty snack! I read that if you but enough of them they breed rather quickly and sometimes you get ones who already have eggs so once they start having hatching the Betta much prefers the eggs and juveniles and leaves the adults well alone. I have also read Amanos are good but Ghosties are bold and might nip fins.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

The only Amanos I can find would cost me a lot more the the RCS too :/

Tags
beta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com