Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Crowntail Beta

This little guy was marked for $2. I know that it is the wrong price and so did the lady checking me out but that's what it was marked for so she gave him to me for that. I have one of those little .5 gallon tanks that I had a beta in a couple years ago. I changed the water 1 to 2 times a week big that beta only lived for a year. Do I need to get him a bigger tank to ensure his longevity? I also have a small aerator would it be a good idea to use it?
__________________

__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishstuff45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 110
You need to have atleast a 5 gallon with a heater and a filter.
__________________

__________________
Fishstuff45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstuff45 View Post
You need to have atleast a 5 gallon with a heater and a filter.
Why do they sell you tiny bowls if they aren't good for your fish?!?!? Lol. 5g for just the one fish, can I get a 2.5 g or will it just be much happier in a 5? I can get one of the kits with pump and everything for pretty cheap right now.
__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Here is a picture of him, I think he's magnificent so I will do w/e I need to properly care for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1943300381.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	137552  
__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
He has really big lips much bigger then all the other beta...
__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 3,090
You'll find that Bettas are way more fun to watch when they have more space. They do the goofiest things.
__________________
Hholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
You'll find that Bettas are way more fun to watch when they have more space. They do the goofiest things.
I was told you can put a divider in the tank and have 2 and they will flare up at each other through the glass. That's why I wanted to know if they can be in 2.5 bc I was going to get another 5g tank just for him but my hubby wanted to know about another in the tank. Male and female pair can be together right? Just not male male. What about female female? Just out of curiosity. I am finding mixed information on the subject.
__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
I am getting majority info what I thought, solitary fish.
__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Teakwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliwog17

I was told you can put a divider in the tank and have 2 and they will flare up at each other through the glass. That's why I wanted to know if they can be in 2.5 bc I was going to get another 5g tank just for him but my hubby wanted to know about another in the tank. Male and female pair can be together right? Just not male male. What about female female? Just out of curiosity. I am finding mixed information on the subject.
Not really they don't do well together long term at all from what I understand. If you get a bigger tank you could do a couple snails, my betta does fine with cory cats( but at least a 10 gallon would be best). Or you could do dwarf frogs, but keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting enough food.
__________________
Teakwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Poliwog17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post

Not really they don't do well together long term at all from what I understand. If you get a bigger tank you could do a couple snails, my betta does fine with cory cats( but at least a 10 gallon would be best). Or you could do dwarf frogs, but keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting enough food.
What would you think about ghost or cherry shrimp? I would think it might pick at them.
__________________

__________________
Poliwog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.