Cryptoheros panamensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been looking for these guys for quite some time and was fortunate enough locate a larger pair, and I have to admit I'm a sucker for blue eyes.

Attachments

• DSC_0712.jpg
    DSC_0712.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0717.jpg
    DSC_0717.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0729.jpg
    DSC_0729.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0715.jpg
    DSC_0715.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
SWEET. We have a lone panamensis, not sure of sex. We had a group of juveniles and this fish killed off all the others. Nice pickup!

We had a group of juveniles and this fish killed off all the others. Nice pickup!

These guys are your typical aggressive central americans, I'd be willing to bet yours is a male. I had a pair a few years back and the male wiped out half a tank of larger fish in one night. But they're one of my favorites, maybe a trade for some panduro fry?

Looks good. Your the king of the cryptos.

How many species left?

Yes I'm a crypto junkie for sure, right now the last one on my list is chetumalensis. There are anywhere from 8-12 fish(classification is always changing) and I'm keeping 6 currently including cutteri, sajica, panamensis, honduran sp, myrnae, and nanoluteus. Speaking of I've got lots of fish I'm holding for you!

Last edited:
These guys are your typical aggressive central americans, I'd be willing to bet yours is a male. I had a pair a few years back and the male wiped out half a tank of larger fish in one night. But they're one of my favorites, maybe a trade for some panduro fry?

Yes I'm a crypto junkie for sure, right now the last one on my list is chetumalensis. There are anywhere from 8-12 fish(classification is always changing) and I'm keeping 6 currently including cutteri, sajica, panamensis, honduran sp, myrnae, and nanoluteus. Speaking of I've got lots of fish I'm holding for you!

Not bad. You'll have have to start color variants next like the marbled convict.

That's good to hear. I need some new stuff! If that stals doesn't make it, I'll have room for a few extra.

I'd love to after we get our breeder points on these panduro. We still have fry, but it was not a large spawn (still, not bad for a first try), and GAH they are slow growers. LOL.

Those are very nice fish. We have lots available in our club right now. Good luck with them.

Your lucky then since the GCCA has gone Malawi crazy, out of 80 or so tables at the last swap there were 2 with new worlds.

Last edited:
A couple of our members are breeding them, as well as myrnae , and nanonluteus, both of which are on the CARES list. Our club seems to have drifted away from Africans over the last number of years, although there are still quite a few keeping them. Odd as it may seem, the nanoluteus and myrnae were offered up for free to anyone interested in CARES, with few takers, but they sold well in our monthly and annual auctions.

Back
Top Bottom