Damocles the betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reykur

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just rescued this guy today from a vase at a friend's house, apparently he was purchased from Wal-Mart like a week ago and after my buddy did some research on them, he realized he was mistreating Damo(cles). When I went over today, I told him about my new 5 gallon and how I was going to get a betta, and my buddy suggested I take his new betta.

I put Damo in and he immediately started exploring, hunting detritus worms and daphnia in my tank, and I took the photo right after he jumped for the first time. He has been very active, even though he was very sluggish in the vase, and in the bag during transit. I know he's got a scar on his head, but aside from that he is beautiful! Depending on the light, he shows blues, purples, reds, greens, silver's and gold, he's flared for me once really well so far and his gills are a healthy red, his fins look as though he is a mix between a crown tail and a veiltail, they retain the veil shape, but have tips like a crowtail would.

Attachments

• 0310171507.jpg
    0310171507.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 90
Me too, and this guy seems to be very inquisitive and.. Well I don't know how else to say it but he's a goof. He swims between strands of java fern that become little hoops, come up and shows off for me when I walk up to the tank, and he's done a couple high speed laps around the perimeter of the tank (just for fun?)

Thank you, Blue! I love this little guy, instant addition to the family haha I'm just glad he likes the tank :3

I had a betta like that once. The minute he got home he was our favorite little guy, he learned to recognize us and was so friendly and sweet. Bettas are wonderful fish and they have so much personality.
And your tank sounds like a wonderful place for any betta to live, especially one who had been confined to a vase :(
He's a very lucky fish!

He always comes up to greet me when I peek in, they really are intelligent. You're making me feel better about my tank though, the last couple days I was having diatome issues, but today they've cleared up a lot, so I did a water change and cleaned up my filter / replaced the 2nd cartridge in my filter with pollyfil (i replaced the 1st with seachem biomatrix, waited for about a week, using fluval biological enhancer to help colonize it. I can't attest to whether it works for everyone, but its working for me)
Just looked in and Damocles found his bed on a bunch of java fern. Big day I guess. I'm a grown man squeeing though.

His head scar is healing very nicely, already starting to regain its natural color :D he is also very intelligent, he's learned who I am, and he know when I feed him, I've taught him to follow my finger and flare on a hand signal. Took all of about 5 minutes over 3 days...

Love this story :) now to save that betta from my sister Inlaw....

Do it! :3 the betta will appreciate it, even if your sister in law doesn't!

Back
Top Bottom