Different kind of life in a glass box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I received an ExoTerra as a gift from my husband and spent the last week designing this little dart frog habitat. I think it turned out well for a first attempt and I will be adding more plants as I find them and trying to not overplant so these have some room to grow. The frogs are green and black auratus.

Attachments

• findthefrog_200.jpg
    findthefrog_200.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 75
  • frogsathome_104.jpg
    frogsathome_104.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 71
Yes, technically they are, but after captive breeding, they lose alot of their toxicity. They are safe to handle unless they are wild caught. These are CB dendrobates auratus.

I'm pretty sure poisionous dart frogs loose the toxins when they can't be fed a certain type of ant that is thier main diet in the wild.

here is a little better pic of the frogs

Attachments

• dscn6744_161.jpg
    dscn6744_161.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for sharing. I hear the biggest complaint is having to have a constant supply of flightless fruit flies and that you can't keep a permanent culture in the tank because they become fighted after several generations

I've been thinking a vivarium with Starry Night Tree Frogs will be my next project, but not sure yet. How loud are your dart frogs? I understand they are quite vocal but the sound is quite pleasant.

We culture our own Fruitflies, in plastic containers outside of the tank. It is quite easy. Mine do not call as of yet. Or if they do, the sound is soft enough where I havent heard it yet.

That is really neat! You did a great job. Is it very pricey to maintain something like that?

it is cheap to maintain, the cost is in the construction and that does get a little pricey. The plant choice will determine alot of that tho. Bromeliads, orchids etc

The frogs are doing great. This is an updated picture, I just added more plants.

Attachments

• exo_656.jpg
    exo_656.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom