Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I just noticed my puffer has a small spot on his tummy towards the side of body it looks it there is something poking out, does anyone know what it could be?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a pic of the spot would be helpful.. my puffers got tiny little air bubbles stuck to their tummies before but it never looked like something was coming out.. sounds like a worm or parasite but i could in NO WAY be sure

i did want to tell you that those puffers are EXTREMLY sensitive!! i lost 2 before i got my little Buck Nutty .. they get deathly stressed out soo easily & need perfect water conditions / temperature to thrive.

some might say different, but IMO you have to take extra EXTRA care of a puffer to ensure they have a healthy life.

but w/ all their personality, its worth every minute of it!!

Let's make A.A. the 'free love' fish forum!!
ronnieroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice fish

What is your water quality?

Be aware puffers need full marine environments by the time they are adults.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieroach
a pic of the spot would be helpful.. my puffers got tiny little air bubbles stuck to their tummies before but it never looked like something was coming out.. sounds like a worm or parasite but i could in NO WAY be sure

i did want to tell you that those puffers are EXTREMLY sensitive!! i lost 2 before i got my little Buck Nutty .. they get deathly stressed out soo easily & need perfect water conditions / temperature to thrive.

some might say different, but IMO you have to take extra EXTRA care of a puffer to ensure they have a healthy life.

but w/ all their personality, its worth every minute of it!!
Those are best I can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1536707293.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	58465   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4167202824.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	58466  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3276258759.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	58467   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3538259822.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	58468  

Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997
Nice fish

What is your water quality?

Be aware puffers need full marine environments by the time they are adults.
Yes I read right now it's in low salt I have my test kits on the way should be here but the 1st or 2nd. I do water change everyday!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought you have a dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancorius). Instead you got a green spotted puffer (Tetraodon nigroviridis).

I think you got the 2 species confused. The dwarf puffer is pure freshwater and only grow ~1.25inches, so you could fit 1-2 in your 10g.

The green spotted puffer is a fish that will never fit in a 10g. If it does continue to live in your 10g, then it will have stunted growth. You need to upgrade your tank to a 40+ gallon tanks. Your fish is a very aggressive fish and you will save a lot of money if you kept yours in a SW setup.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I true dwarf puffer needs to be in a FRESH WATER only tank. The thing with the shells helping to reduce the tooth is not entirely true with dwarf puffers. This is true with marine puffers but all the research I have done shows to me that they don't have a problem with that tooth growing to much. You can feed him snails as a treat but the main diet should consist of worms, blood worms, etc. I'm not sure if it's the right puffer you have some do have spots, but they are brownish.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
I thought you have a dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancorius). Instead you got a green spotted puffer (Tetraodon nigroviridis).

I think you got the 2 species confused. The dwarf puffer is pure freshwater and only grow ~1.25inches, so you could fit 1-2 in your 10g.

The green spotted puffer is a fish that will never fit in a 10g. If it does continue to live in your 10g, then it will have stunted growth. You need to upgrade your tank to a 40+ gallon tanks. Your fish is a very aggressive fish and you will save a lot of money if you kept yours in a SW setup.
Yes I know which one I got I was planning on getting the dwarf but decided not to and I know it needs bigger tank and complete salt when fully grown. And I don't mind upgrading for puffy cuz I wanted him bad lol. I will have bigger tank in wk at most for puffy! Can u tell me what that bump on it's tummy is? There is pics above of the bump.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnkevin4ever
Does it matter on the size of the hard food. Can it be like crab legs, cocktail shrimp, etc. How small do the snails need to be, can they be any size or small ones? And I do know about the salt levels he is a baby right now so he needs fw to low end bw. Anything u can tell me would be helpful. Thanks!
If this is a dwarf puffer you need to do some research who ever told you they need salt is wrong!!!!! Fresh water all the time
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to the scene View Post
I true dwarf puffer needs to be in a FRESH WATER only tank. The thing with the shells helping to reduce the tooth is not entirely true with dwarf puffers. This is true with marine puffers but all the research I have done shows to me that they don't have a problem with that tooth growing to much. You can feed him snails as a treat but the main diet should consist of worms, blood worms, etc. I'm not sure if it's the right puffer you have some do have spots, but they are brownish.
It's a spotted green puffer! Does it matter on size of snail small or large?

Tags
dwarf, dwarf puffer, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com