Dwarf puffer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ronnieroach said:
i would do bi-weekly water & filter pad changes if your water levels are legit .. def test the ph, amonia, nitrates etc on a weekly basis just to make sure it's where it should be, but in a 10 gal w/ only one puff, as long as you dont overfeed, the tank should stay fairly clean all the time

Why would you change the filter pads? That's the last thing anyone should be doing!

I agree ^ and maybe next time do more research? Seems to me that you leared about the fish and its requirements AFTER you went out and bought it. In the end, researching about a fish = alive and happy fish

just so you know, GSP's require little salt to begin with & can be weened to FW with no problem..

In the long-term, FW will weaken their immune system and they will live a shorter life. At least high-end brackish water is required for a full grown gsp.

just wanna say all my advice on this was from my personal experience. i've found that you dont have to follow the rules to the T to have a thriving tank but most feel otherwise.

& as far as the filter pads, i always do bi-weekly pad changes, why wouldnt i?

ronnieroach said:
just wanna say all my advice on this was from my personal experience. i've found that you dont have to follow the rules to the T to have a thriving tank but most feel otherwise.

& as far as the filter pads, i always do bi-weekly pad changes, why wouldnt i?

Because the filter pads are crammed full of beneficial bacteria, which you just throw away! All you need to do is clean gently in tank water, only ever replace of they are falling apart!

IME i also think its cheaper to rinse the filter pad instead of buying more filters and bottled products every 2 weeks. I use to buy those carbon filter pads, but it got too expensive.

ronnieroach said:
well i'm sure my tank is fine since i have 2 bio wheels in my filter & i use neutrafin cycle(?) i believe its called, & that keeps the benny bacterias perfecto

It's just unnecessary and a cause of possible problems. And If you simply clean them then there would be no need to add that bacteria in a bottle ( which is pretty useless anyway)

Chasnkevin4ever said:
It died...

From experience freshwater dwarf puffers are very hardy fish the will hold ip to any hardness and just need to be acclimated"drip method" for a longer then usual method and IMO fresh is easier then salt. You van still use that 10 gal have 2-3 1 male though. And keep it planted or well decorated to avoid aggression

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Okay I read on the drip method, interesting!

Just put him in a container or leave him in the bag remove about 1/2 of the water if your keeping him in the bag. Just let the water drip on to the water he is in for like an hour I say about 1-2 drops a second and he shouldn't be so stressed when you put him into the water and it's up to you if you only want 1 puffer. You can have shrimp with him but add the shrimps first this way he doesn't automatically assume it's food and hopefully they survive. The Research I've done has me convinced that they dont have the same problem with that tooth so you don't have to worry about it but a snail a week is a nice treat.

Just put him in a container or leave him in the bag remove about 1/2 of the water if your keeping him in the bag. Just let the water drip on to the water he is in for like an hour I say about 1-2 drops a second and he shouldn't be so stressed when you put him into the water and it's up to you if you only want 1 puffer. You can have shrimp with him but add the shrimps first this way he doesn't automatically assume it's food and hopefully they survive. The Research I've done has me convinced that they dont have the same problem with that tooth so you don't have to worry about it but a snail a week is a nice treat.

Okay cool would u happen to know if I need to use the ammonia to cycle a salt water tank? If not I will figure it out! Thanks

new to the scene said:

Dont you need a special dtip tube? Or did you diy to make this?

DIY with a tube the old fashion way. Dr foster and smith has a awesome acclimation set up. A container that replaces a the water inside it with your tank water removing all the water it came in through a drip method. Its pretty pricey $50 I believe but your fish or coral will never be out of the water

Bonjour! I had a look at your pics. Did your puffers belly always have that grey band? Did it get any darker or lighter? I don't mean to be mean but puffers when they have happy have a bright white belly, healthy ones change a bit, when mine is sad (hungry and not seen me for hours) she has a light grey band, they love people an are like puppies. But she mainly has a bright white belly, their stomachs can be weird shapes at times e.g. after feeding and when hungry. As for snails, well I read about the eye sized snails are good... Mine crushed the shell in one bite and because the shell was the same colour as the snail it was hard for her to find the flesh and also hardly any of it!

Back
Top Bottom