Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so first off, after seeing the pics - you def have a green spotted puffer. research that for your ph, salt, food, etc information.. my girl found it in like 2 minutes when we got our first GSP

the bump could be a parasite, or it could be just how hes looking at the moment.. i couldnt see anything coming out of it in the pic but it was a little blurry .. however, i have seen green spotted puffers have a lop-sided belly before so i cant say for sure how or if you should even treat it

as for tank size, you'll be ok for a little while (few months) but you'll need to upgrade to MIN 40-55gal for him to thrive

& every day water changes will probably stress him out so BE CAREFUL!!

if he's swimming around happily, eating & if he'll chase your finger tip in the water, he's probably ok.. its when he puffs up, changes color & looks like he's weezing that you need to worry

GOOD LUCK!!

Let's make A.A. the 'free love' fish forum!!
ronnieroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone y'all have been a big help. I will definitely let y'all know what's going on with puffer! Thanks again!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Ronnie thanks that helps alot. Puffy is swimming eating etc so maybe the bump is just his unique spot there's nothing coming out just a bump. So how often do I do water changes? I have some of that seachem prime on the way, it said it will help with the ammonia level. Anything else I should get to help my little puffy!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i would do bi-weekly water & filter pad changes if your water levels are legit .. def test the ph, amonia, nitrates etc on a weekly basis just to make sure it's where it should be, but in a 10 gal w/ only one puff, as long as you dont overfeed, the tank should stay fairly clean all the time
Old 10-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay if it makes it that long, he is acting weird this morning and my test kits aren't here yet. They will be here in like a week. He is floating around on the top of the water. He won't eat. Left side fin ain't working. I think he was sick when I got him. I don't know if my gsp dies I am going to get a fw puffer. This is terrible! Gezzz no more salt water fish I'm going to stick to my eels that's it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnkevin4ever
Okay if it makes it that long, he is acting weird this morning and my test kits aren't here yet. They will be here in like a week. He is floating around on the top of the water. He won't eat. Left side fin ain't working. I think he was sick when I got him. I don't know if my gsp dies I am going to get a fw puffer. This is terrible! Gezzz no more salt water fish I'm going to stick to my eels that's it.
Don't be discouraged so easily, everybody has lost a fish in there time. Hopefully gets better, but if something does happen just wait next time for your supplies and easy into it this time. Have the water perfect then get the GSP no need to quit so fast.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to the scene

Don't be discouraged so easily, everybody has lost a fish in there time. Hopefully gets better, but if something does happen just wait next time for your supplies and easy into it this time. Have the water perfect then get the GSP no need to quit so fast.
I'm not going to get another gsp, I'm going to get a fw dwarf puffer. It can stay in my ten gallon for good! No more salt water fish except my eels!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #38
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I like the dp a lot. They are cute and have a lot of personality.
I hope your gsp pulls through though.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

It died...
Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just so you know, GSP's require little salt to begin with & can be weened to FW with no problem..

you either had a sick one from the store, WHICH THEY NORMALLY ARE DUE TO BAD STORE CONDITIONS, or the water changes ended up buggin him out..

GSP's are VERY hard to keep, in my experience.. i dont know much about dwarf puffers but i can assume they're just as tempermental soo before you dive into another puffer, think about a community tank.. MUCH EASIER!!!

Tags
dwarf, dwarf puffer, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com