Dwarf puffer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a ten gallon aquarium that I wanna get a puffer for. Would it be better for me to get one or two puffers for my ten gallon?

one is always better than two. most people like to keep as many fish in their tanks as possible though.

I agree with Terrance. I have not kept dp, but I have researched them a lot because I considered getting one. Technicly, multiple dp's would be possible in a tank that size, but that tank has to be VERY well planted to break up the line of site. Even then, no guarantee more than 1 dp will work. However, they are territorial more than social, so 1 would be quite happy having a 10g to explore IMO. :)

I agree with Terrance. I have not kept dp, but I have researched them a lot because I considered getting one. Technicly, multiple dp's would be possible in a tank that size, but that tank has to be VERY well planted to break up the line of site. Even then, no guarantee more than 1 dp will work. However, they are territorial more than social, so 1 would be quite happy having a 10g to explore IMO. :)

Thank u, I decided to get me a spotted green puffer, he is so freaking cute. I already love him and only had him for three days. :)

Cool. They are very pretty. Which tank are you going to put him in? I am guessing you already know about the salinity requirements and diet and stuff?

He needs to eat a lot of snails and other hard foods like that. They can be kind of difficult to keep because of all the hard foods they need.

Does it matter on the size of the hard food. Can it be like crab legs, cocktail shrimp, etc. How small do the snails need to be, can they be any size or small ones? And I do know about the salt levels he is a baby right now so he needs fw to low end bw. Anything u can tell me would be helpful. Thanks!

Pics of my new baby :)

Attachments

• image-3642909376.jpg
    image-3642909376.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2068449083.jpg
    image-2068449083.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2959769172.jpg
    image-2959769172.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-252853183.jpg
    image-252853183.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 106
So I just noticed my puffer has a small spot on his tummy towards the side of body it looks it there is something poking out, does anyone know what it could be?

a pic of the spot would be helpful.. my puffers got tiny little air bubbles stuck to their tummies before but it never looked like something was coming out.. sounds like a worm or parasite but i could in NO WAY be sure

i did want to tell you that those puffers are EXTREMLY sensitive!! i lost 2 before i got my little Buck Nutty .. they get deathly stressed out soo easily & need perfect water conditions / temperature to thrive.

some might say different, but IMO you have to take extra EXTRA care of a puffer to ensure they have a healthy life.

but w/ all their personality, its worth every minute of it!! :D

ronnieroach said:
a pic of the spot would be helpful.. my puffers got tiny little air bubbles stuck to their tummies before but it never looked like something was coming out.. sounds like a worm or parasite but i could in NO WAY be sure

i did want to tell you that those puffers are EXTREMLY sensitive!! i lost 2 before i got my little Buck Nutty .. they get deathly stressed out soo easily & need perfect water conditions / temperature to thrive.

some might say different, but IMO you have to take extra EXTRA care of a puffer to ensure they have a healthy life.

but w/ all their personality, its worth every minute of it!! :D

Those are best I can get.

Attachments

• image-1536707293.jpg
    image-1536707293.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-4167202824.jpg
    image-4167202824.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3276258759.jpg
    image-3276258759.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3538259822.jpg
    image-3538259822.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 88
bruinsbro1997 said:
Nice fish :)

What is your water quality?

Be aware puffers need full marine environments by the time they are adults.

Yes I read right now it's in low salt I have my test kits on the way should be here but the 1st or 2nd. I do water change everyday!

I thought you have a dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancorius). Instead you got a green spotted puffer (Tetraodon nigroviridis).

I think you got the 2 species confused. The dwarf puffer is pure freshwater and only grow ~1.25inches, so you could fit 1-2 in your 10g.

The green spotted puffer is a fish that will never fit in a 10g. If it does continue to live in your 10g, then it will have stunted growth. You need to upgrade your tank to a 40+ gallon tanks. Your fish is a very aggressive fish and you will save a lot of money if you kept yours in a SW setup.

I true dwarf puffer needs to be in a FRESH WATER only tank. The thing with the shells helping to reduce the tooth is not entirely true with dwarf puffers. This is true with marine puffers but all the research I have done shows to me that they don't have a problem with that tooth growing to much. You can feed him snails as a treat but the main diet should consist of worms, blood worms, etc. I'm not sure if it's the right puffer you have some do have spots, but they are brownish.

I thought you have a dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancorius). Instead you got a green spotted puffer (Tetraodon nigroviridis).

I think you got the 2 species confused. The dwarf puffer is pure freshwater and only grow ~1.25inches, so you could fit 1-2 in your 10g.

The green spotted puffer is a fish that will never fit in a 10g. If it does continue to live in your 10g, then it will have stunted growth. You need to upgrade your tank to a 40+ gallon tanks. Your fish is a very aggressive fish and you will save a lot of money if you kept yours in a SW setup.

Yes I know which one I got :) I was planning on getting the dwarf but decided not to and I know it needs bigger tank and complete salt when fully grown. And I don't mind upgrading for puffy cuz I wanted him bad lol. I will have bigger tank in wk at most for puffy! Can u tell me what that bump on it's tummy is? There is pics above of the bump.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Does it matter on the size of the hard food. Can it be like crab legs, cocktail shrimp, etc. How small do the snails need to be, can they be any size or small ones? And I do know about the salt levels he is a baby right now so he needs fw to low end bw. Anything u can tell me would be helpful. Thanks!

If this is a dwarf puffer you need to do some research who ever told you they need salt is wrong!!!!! Fresh water all the time

I true dwarf puffer needs to be in a FRESH WATER only tank. The thing with the shells helping to reduce the tooth is not entirely true with dwarf puffers. This is true with marine puffers but all the research I have done shows to me that they don't have a problem with that tooth growing to much. You can feed him snails as a treat but the main diet should consist of worms, blood worms, etc. I'm not sure if it's the right puffer you have some do have spots, but they are brownish.

It's a spotted green puffer! Does it matter on size of snail small or large?

Back
Top Bottom