Easy plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShobhitJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I have been keeping fishes for a while, but lately decided to jump into growing plants too.
I have a 10 G aquarium with 4 guppies.
I ordered a CaribSea Eco-Complete and NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light Size 20 to 27 Inch, 11 Watts

I am not planning to add CO2 till I see some results. Can anyone plz suggest
1. What plants I should start with? I was planning Amazon Sword and Moneywort - 2 sticks each from Petsmart/ Petco.

2. Do I need to add liquid fertilizer in this substrate? I read online this is a v good substrate - rich in nutrients.

Cheers,
SJ

I wouldn't go amazon sword in a 10g. They get very big and will take up most of the tank. You can try bacopa monnieri or Caroliniana, java fern, various anubias species, rotala rotundifolia, java moss, guppy grass, hornwort, floating plants like duckweed, salvinia minima,red root floaters.

I second the anubias Idea. It was the first live plant that I bought and has survived everything from being just a floating plant, a hungry snail to being planted. I've had it for 5 years now it's great.
I've recently bought some anacharis for both of my tanks and I absolutely love it as well, just stick it in the gravel and watch it grow. It changes shape every day depending on where the most light is.

Java Fern are fun and easy, there are different leaf varieties, a couple favorites are Narrow leaf and Windelov.

Anubias for sure - easy and lots of sizes a couple with different colors leaves. Anubias Nana and nana petite are great.

Dwarf Sagittaria or Vallisnaria.

Pygmy Chain sword Echinodorus quadricostatus

Bolbitis heteroclita gets large but is very easy to snap off to keep manageable, has a great shape leaf.

Another of my favorites - ludwigia repens x arcuata

Easy, lower light and lower ferts needs.

Thank you for your response and guidance. I will look for these plants.

Question - I have CaribSea Eco-Complete substrate. Do I need to add liquid fertilizer in the tank in addition to this substrate? I read online this is a v good substrate - rich in nutrients and few users say that don't need additional fertilizers with this substrate (for few months atleast)

Cheers,
SJ

Root feeders like a Sword will appreciate the substrate tabs/capsules. Ludwigia repens x arcuata also is okay just tucked in at a 45 degree angle then straightened up right. I have kept that one with fert capsules or nothing and both have been okay.

The Anubias, Bolbitis, aquatic moss I didn't mention but included, and Java fern are all one which you do not actually plant into the substrate, they can get tied or glued onto DW and stones and will use the water column to get a good amount of nutrients.

Cryptocoryne Wendtii green, bronze or red are usually easy to find and do not get too big.

Eco is a great standard plant substrate. It's in my 72G. It does seem to need fert caps for the root plants.

Thank you all. So here's the plan - start with Java moss and Dwarf Sagittaria. Once I see some results (hopefully good!!), I will add Anubias

for my 10 G, I ordered NICREW White and Blue LED lights - approx. 7500 K

Back
Top Bottom