Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Elephant Nose Advice

hi guys i just joined. Just wondering on some advice on how to get the Elephant Nose to survive. I have a 30 gallon tank that is planted with about 5 plants, some drift wood and rocks. I know 30 gallons isnt much.

I just added the Elephant Nose, and i also have some larger black neon tetras, 3 of them. The tetras now seem afraid of the Elephant Nose. When hes out they hover at the top of the tank lol.

What else should i add with these fish? thanks
__________________

__________________
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Leopardshark20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 38
Elephant noses are peaceful fish, so you should be ok with any community fish that can fit in your tank. If your looking for color, Iíd recommend a German Ram or Honey Gourami
__________________

__________________
Leopardshark20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardshark20 View Post
Elephant noses are peaceful fish, so you should be ok with any community fish that can fit in your tank. If your looking for color, Iíd recommend a German Ram or Honey Gourami
hey i was just curious, i heard that german rams die fast, is this true?
also what do you think of these?

colombian tetra
banded rainbow fish
__________________
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,870
Just so you know, elephant noses typically are not great community fish. They tend to be somewhat aggressive toward smaller tank mates and can be easily stressed by more rambunctious species that share the tank with them. I would lean toward not really putting anything else with your fish. They require excellent water quality to stay healthy so make sure to keep up on your water changes. PVC tubes and caves are a must since elephant noses prefer to hide during the day and become active at night. As far as food blood worms should be accepted rather readily, but don't be surprised if your fish does not react to flakes or pellets.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Just so you know, elephant noses typically are not great community fish. They tend to be somewhat aggressive toward smaller tank mates and can be easily stressed by more rambunctious species that share the tank with them. I would lean toward not really putting anything else with your fish. They require excellent water quality to stay healthy so make sure to keep up on your water changes. PVC tubes and caves are a must since elephant noses prefer to hide during the day and become active at night. As far as food blood worms should be accepted rather readily, but don't be surprised if your fish does not react to flakes or pellets.
Thanks so far hes minding his own business at the bottom of the tank. i just created two small caves for him to hide under one made of rocks and the other driftwood so hes just hanging out there.
__________________
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,312
I have 4 elephant nose fish the oldest is nearly 8yrs. They don't do well with other fish something I've experienced too well. The only thing in with mine is amano shrimp and rabbit snails. Not easy guys to keep.
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post
I have 4 elephant nose fish the oldest is nearly 8yrs. They don't do well with other fish something I've experienced too well. The only thing in with mine is amano shrimp and rabbit snails. Not easy guys to keep.
Thanks for the advice we will see how it goes
__________________
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Hey guys bad news on my elephant fish.. hes honestly looking kind of weak and lethargic and has been doing nothing but hiding under the rock at the center of the tank squirming around.

Is this normal?

The second problem i have is that when i feed him blood worms, ive got frozen blood worms and i put in a cube, i am not sure if hes eating them because its advised to have the lights off when you feed him and sometimes what happens is the worms float away to other parts of the tank. ive now had him for a couple of days and im not sure if hes eaten any food.
__________________
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkAttack View Post
Hey guys bad news on my elephant fish.. hes honestly looking kind of weak and lethargic and has been doing nothing but hiding under the rock at the center of the tank squirming around.

Is this normal?

The second problem i have is that when i feed him blood worms, ive got frozen blood worms and i put in a cube, i am not sure if hes eating them because its advised to have the lights off when you feed him and sometimes what happens is the worms float away to other parts of the tank. ive now had him for a couple of days and im not sure if hes eaten any food.
Hi the elephant nose will hide especially during the day, they have a strange movement were it looks like they twitch to the side is that what hes doing?
For feeding him you've only had him a couple of days so hes going to need time to settle in. What I do is thaw out their bloodworm in some tank water then turn off filters and slowly pour it in, I prefer live but frozen will be fine ( remember to plug the filter back in something I've forgot about) he will find the food mine are usually waiting patiently at night for theirs but I've had mine for year's.
You'll eventually need to upgrade your tank as a 55 gallon is minimum for 1.
Good luck with him.
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
He now seems to be doing ok because i added blood worms, he perked right up and swimming around the tank after dark. its just that he doesnt want to during the day.
__________________

__________________
SharkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, nose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
aggressive elephant nose advice shellyx Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 09-24-2012 06:20 AM
Elephant nose fish advice. Mystickmonkey New Acquisitions 29 06-24-2012 10:45 AM
my new elephant nose advice shellyx Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 04-05-2012 04:14 PM
Elephant nose admonoga Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 04-27-2005 03:34 PM
Puffer=good or bad? Elephant nose= good or bad? freshwatergal Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 12-12-2003 01:27 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.