Elephant Nose Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkAttack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys i just joined. Just wondering on some advice on how to get the Elephant Nose to survive. I have a 30 gallon tank that is planted with about 5 plants, some drift wood and rocks. I know 30 gallons isnt much.

I just added the Elephant Nose, and i also have some larger black neon tetras, 3 of them. The tetras now seem afraid of the Elephant Nose. When hes out they hover at the top of the tank lol.

What else should i add with these fish? thanks

Elephant noses are peaceful fish, so you should be ok with any community fish that can fit in your tank. If your looking for color, I’d recommend a German Ram or Honey Gourami

Elephant noses are peaceful fish, so you should be ok with any community fish that can fit in your tank. If your looking for color, I’d recommend a German Ram or Honey Gourami

hey i was just curious, i heard that german rams die fast, is this true?
also what do you think of these?

colombian tetra
banded rainbow fish

Just so you know, elephant noses typically are not great community fish. They tend to be somewhat aggressive toward smaller tank mates and can be easily stressed by more rambunctious species that share the tank with them. I would lean toward not really putting anything else with your fish. They require excellent water quality to stay healthy so make sure to keep up on your water changes. PVC tubes and caves are a must since elephant noses prefer to hide during the day and become active at night. As far as food blood worms should be accepted rather readily, but don't be surprised if your fish does not react to flakes or pellets.

Just so you know, elephant noses typically are not great community fish. They tend to be somewhat aggressive toward smaller tank mates and can be easily stressed by more rambunctious species that share the tank with them. I would lean toward not really putting anything else with your fish. They require excellent water quality to stay healthy so make sure to keep up on your water changes. PVC tubes and caves are a must since elephant noses prefer to hide during the day and become active at night. As far as food blood worms should be accepted rather readily, but don't be surprised if your fish does not react to flakes or pellets.

Thanks so far hes minding his own business at the bottom of the tank. i just created two small caves for him to hide under one made of rocks and the other driftwood so hes just hanging out there.

I have 4 elephant nose fish the oldest is nearly 8yrs. They don't do well with other fish something I've experienced too well. The only thing in with mine is amano shrimp and rabbit snails. Not easy guys to keep.

I have 4 elephant nose fish the oldest is nearly 8yrs. They don't do well with other fish something I've experienced too well. The only thing in with mine is amano shrimp and rabbit snails. Not easy guys to keep.

Thanks for the advice we will see how it goes

Hey guys bad news on my elephant fish.. hes honestly looking kind of weak and lethargic and has been doing nothing but hiding under the rock at the center of the tank squirming around.

Is this normal?

The second problem i have is that when i feed him blood worms, ive got frozen blood worms and i put in a cube, i am not sure if hes eating them because its advised to have the lights off when you feed him and sometimes what happens is the worms float away to other parts of the tank. ive now had him for a couple of days and im not sure if hes eaten any food.

Hey guys bad news on my elephant fish.. hes honestly looking kind of weak and lethargic and has been doing nothing but hiding under the rock at the center of the tank squirming around.

Is this normal?

The second problem i have is that when i feed him blood worms, ive got frozen blood worms and i put in a cube, i am not sure if hes eating them because its advised to have the lights off when you feed him and sometimes what happens is the worms float away to other parts of the tank. ive now had him for a couple of days and im not sure if hes eaten any food.
Hi the elephant nose will hide especially during the day, they have a strange movement were it looks like they twitch to the side is that what hes doing?
For feeding him you've only had him a couple of days so hes going to need time to settle in. What I do is thaw out their bloodworm in some tank water then turn off filters and slowly pour it in, I prefer live but frozen will be fine ( remember to plug the filter back in something I've forgot about) he will find the food mine are usually waiting patiently at night for theirs but I've had mine for year's.
You'll eventually need to upgrade your tank as a 55 gallon is minimum for 1.
Good luck with him.

He now seems to be doing ok because i added blood worms, he perked right up and swimming around the tank after dark. its just that he doesnt want to during the day.

Good to hear, remember they are nocturnal so coming out during the day is often a rare sight. My oldest is seen more than the others who are 2yrs. So just give him time to settle and plenty to eat as most are starved before we buy them. If I can be anymore help just let me know i adore these guy's!

Back
Top Bottom