Favorite plants!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Favorite Plant

What are your favorite low light, easy plants that can be tied to a rock or floated. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello Kris...

No doubt in my mind. It's Hornwort. Easy to grow. Not particular about water temperature, light or water chemistry. No planting needed. Just drop some individual stems into the tank. It will outgrow the the tank. I cut it back weekly.

It's available at most pet stores that carry fish and aquatic plants.

B

Tied to a rock:Java fern. Second, moss.
Floating: not sure
In substrate: crypts

Saggiteria subulata is an amazing plant. It's hardy, low light, and a great background plant for smaller tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My favorite plants are the ones that won't die :hide: I managed to kill an Anubias and Amazon Swordgrass..... *hangs head in shame*

Any body have an opinion on jungle val? Anarcharis?

I found that cabomba did okay under low light but IMO needs more than low light.
Jungle val in the right conditions can get huge. I had a similar plant (Crystal River Val) under strong light and rich substrate and it grew 4+ feet long. I have not tried this plant in low light but from what I understand it should do fine. All Vals tend to be sensitive to Excel (they melt) unless properly acclimated to it.
Anubis is a hardy, low light, slow growing plant. It resembles a peace lily (houseplant).
Anarcharis is low demanding, easy to grow plant. Can be rooted or floating. Like Vals, some sensitivity to excel.

There are several species of Anubias. I have a few. Nice plants.

Floating ? My fav is always Amazon Frogbit.

Anacharis likes cool water tanks. Not my favorite. Usually looks weedy to me.

Vals are sensitive to Excel and I haven't had great luck with them. My friend has a 60g River Tank with Jungle Vals, she has to trim them constantly. High Flow and cool water in hers as she has a bunch of different Hillstream Loaches and Percs.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom