Feeding help for pleco and cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brew86uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello people, I have a 64L tank. I have added 2x cory cats, 1x pleco about 3'' long, 2x black window and 2x plattys fish. My nitrites have gone to about 2.5ppm, everything else is fine.

Think it might be going through a mini cycle so done a good water change. Is there anything else I can do to help fish? Worried about losing fish although the water looks great.

And when should I feed my cory cats and pleco? I have algae tabs and catfish food I was thinking every 2/3 days for cats and pleco and once a day for the rest would this be ok ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed algae tabs daily but with your nitrite spike I would indeed cut back to every second day.

Do you have water chemistry readings from a solution and vial test kit?

I have a test kit api one its just the nitrite abit high at the moment so done a 25% water change I've been feeding my plec on half a Algae tab every other day and I have been feeding the cory cats on cat fish pellets and the rest of my fish on the flakes is all the right ??

Chocolate common mine is

Your tank is only 16.9g say 16g with substrate.

IMHO that is too small for a Pleco and he will add too much poop.

I would keep testing and changing water to keep tank safe and consider returning/rehoming the Pleco.

You don't "need" an algae eater. I control algae thru photoperiod.

What species of Cory did you get ? They usually need groups and in tank sizes under a 20g Long I use tiny species like C habrosus.

GL with your tank and I hope you have great fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To address feeding ?

What species of Pleco and Cory ?

Algae eaters ? I feed blanched Zucchini, Romaine, Omega One Algae Wafers in rotation. I leave back wall unwiped. Driftwood for Plecos. Frozen Bloodworms.

Corydoras ? Live foods are best. Then frozen worms and brine shrimp or baby brine shrimp. Omega One shrimp pellets, Omega One color food. Etc...

Read labels on foods. If first ingredients are Wheat, consider trying a different brand. Just like good dog food.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457022639.699722.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom