Feeding too little?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dollars77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,
I have 1 plec (6")
2 silver dollars (5" each)
2 tetra (1" each)
2 dwarf gourami (2" each)
1 red serum ( 4")
.... Until I recently upgraded my tank size, fish seemed happily fed, but now it's like they're constantly hungry!! I have always fed dried flake, algae wafers and frozen ( combi ) (and shelled peas once a week)
How often should I feed these guys?? Does the tank size make a difference??? The tank is deep so don't want too much un eaten as it's hard to clean! But don't want them too hungry!!... Also, have read much on when to feed, but how much?? 2 wafers... 4 wafers??? Help!

A lot of the times people say to feed as much as they can eat within a certain time frame. I personally feed my fish a little. I just take into consideration that their stomachs are small. In order for me to find out how much I should feed my fish, I gave them a little bit. Then the next day my cories had sunken stomachs! So I gave them a couple extra wafers. They didn't finish it all, so after having to change the water and trying to figure out my fishes eating patterns, only then did I know how much to give them. Also, it is okay to skip feeding for a day here and there.

Thanks for your info... I guess it's a little trial and error... I was wondering if food was 'going missing' in this new, bigger tank!!?
I hear lettuce and cucumber are appreciated by certain fish.. Would you know how much to try?
Ty :)

Um, I never did give my fish veggies, just the little nibbles that you can stick to your tank glass and watch your fish feed. Maybe someone who has done it will reply, I was thinking of feeding cucumber, but my family never buys veggies. I should ask next time we go to the store.
But I heard that blanched vegetables are good for some fish so you are right on that!

I have a 29g tank that us pretty deep. When I put in the flakes, my rasboras get first dibs as they were swimming closest to the food. My phantom tetras were at the bottom, and it looked like they were not even aware that it was chow time. My temporary solution is to drop the food where the water hits the surface from my HOB so some food gets pushed down.

But I share a similar concern that thus us probably not very efficient.

Appreciate any thoughts on what techniques are used so top, middle and bottom swimmers get fed equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I had algae wafers but they did not like it. Will order the hikari sinking pellets.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom