Feeling sad, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlpbarrett

Aquarium Advice Regular
O.K. So I got this gorgeous Anemone today. Went into the store to get a fish since I took my Blue Damsel back as it became aggressive to my Firefish Goby, and the guy at my LFS ended up talking me into an Anemone. I was very excited because I had turned my head away from them until my tank was pretty mature. I love the way they are and would love to be able to keep one. Anyway, I got back home and was researching some more and am now worried I may have to take it back. I guess I could get a coral or something, but I am pretty sad that the guy kind of talked me into something that I suppose my tank just isn't ready for. I don't want it to have an unhappy life and die sooner then it could in a different tank. And I have no idea what it is! My LFS told me but I have forgotten and have now been looking and can't find information on it! I am sure my tank could handle coral, the lighting in there is perfect for it, but I am just nervous about the life of my anemone and may take it back tomorrow for an equally priced coral. I am very dissapointed.

You anemone looks like a sebae. They are 1 of the most delicate anemonies. I think it would be a good idea to take it back. They require metal halide or strong T5 lighting and a mature (1 year old at least) tank.

I agree with Larry. Very difficult anenome. I think you`ll be very happy with a coral. What type lighting do you have?

not any that is strong enough for this poor little anemone. So sad... I am about to take it back. So you think ill have some luck with coral? Soft coral looks a lot like Anemones. I would love to have some of that. I have already picked up vitamins and everything.

OK so now the real question is what coral I should be getting. I don't want to run into this problem again!

I guess I my set up came with a 13 watt flourescent light, how would I go about changing it out? I assume that my light is insufficient right now, so I should probably get a higher wattage.

Hey mlpbarrett,

I completely empathize with your desire for keeping an anemone and feel bad about your situation but I agree with everyone else...waiting until you have everything ready, including yourself, before attempting to keep an anemone will increase your chances of success greatly. As ccCapt points out, Sebae anemones require a lot of attention and careful planning, including a lot of light.

Speaking of light though, no matter what photosynthetic life you want to keep, whether it is anemones or corals, there is a lot more to the story than wattage. For this reason, it would probably help to know more about your entire system as a whole...for example:

1. What are the dimensions of your tank?
  2. What are your long term goals (other than keeping an anemone) regarding having a reef tank?
    • For example, are you interested in corals in general, or do you have some specific types of corals in mind?
    • The reason I ask is because it is usually cheaper to upgrade once versus upgrading every other month like some people I know (i.e. myself :rolleyes:)
  3. Do you have live rock in your tank and/or are you able to position future coral/anemone purchases closer or farther away from light as needed?
  4. What temperature does your tank water usually maintain?
    • Do you need to use a heater or chiller to maintain that temp?
  5. Do you have any budget in mind....both in terms of money and in time? (i.e. do you really want corals now, or are you willing to wait and save up for a few weeks, months, or years?)
Of course, any other information about your current set up, as well as a description of what you envision this tank would be like in order to qualify as being "perfect" for you in the future would really help others help you make the best decisions and maybe even the best purchase(s).

Last edited:
Yeah your lighting is no where near enough. Your LFS should have known this. You mention wattage. Back in the old day we use to use the WPG rule but it`s pretty outdated now. Now you have to worry about things like intensity and par to name a few. I do use the wpg rule as a broad and general rule. Even at that you are way off. You`ll need a whole new set up. A cheaper route would be maybe retrofits. I`m sorry about all your problems and I would make sure you ditch the LFS. They are in it for the money and not for you. I`m pretty fortunate that I have two good ones and will not sell me what I cant handle. I hope it gets better.

I hate it when that happens....and it has happened to darn near everyone I'm sure. As you mentioned, there are plenty of beautiful corals that look similar. You'll need to get some stronger lighting. Be aware that if you buy a second hand fixture you'll probably want to change the bulbs right off of the bat (assuming that you'll be getting power compact lighting).

Good luck Lady!

Back
Top Bottom